Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Default some takeaways

here are a couple of hands from yesterday where I attempted a takeaway with a weakish hand. I’m still getting my nl sea legs underneath me, and I just had to take a week or so off from poker for non-poker related reasons so please bear with and offer positive reinforcement if I’ve earned it.

Takeaways by their natures are a little non-standard and usually (but not always) should be folded. When they aren’t folded I get hands like these. Any correction or critiques on thought process are greatly appreciated. Please don’t give alternate line suggestions without reasoning.

thanks!

1)

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
3 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Guruman: $36.85
SB: $46.60
BB: $26

Pre-flop: (3 players) Guruman is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $2</font>, BB calls, Guruman calls $1.25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $4.75)</font>.

Pf was probly standard from the button. villain had been re-raising from the sb vs my button raises much more frequently than I’m used to seeing, so I had to assume it was with a wider range than I tend to see there. The first few times I had a garbage hand and folded pf. He probably saw me as re-stealable and with a wide button opening range. In this hand I made the call based on the fact that we both were playing fairly deep and I had a good speculative hand with position.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($6, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $3</font>, BB folds, Guruman calls $3 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $9)</font>.

flop is a standard cont bet from him, but at that point we’re both still deep enough that I don’t want to make a move straight away. I just call, which should be perceived as very strong on this flop. Villain could still have ui overs, a weak pp, or an overpair. I don’t think he has much more than 1 pair at all here.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($12, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $7</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises all-in $31.85</font>,

the turn card and action came right for me. I added outs to my draw and villain still had me covered. when he bet 7 he’s almost certainly got an overpair (though there’s an outside chance he had diamond overs on the flop and picked up a draw on the turn). The turn card also makes it look like I hit a draw instead of improving it, and there’s always the chance that I flopped a set and slowplayed one street. At my decision point the stack to pot ratio is around 1.5, so I’m in good shape with regards to fold equity - especially vs this villain. If he has a flush draw he has to fold there. If he has an overpair I’ve got 13 outs vs no redraws so that adds up to 28% pure equity if he calls. This means that he’d have to fold his overpair ~22% for me to break even on the play. Given that he should be folding an overpair there I think I’m in the green.

2) read on this villain was taggish but would bluff when induced. I had induced and folded a few times before this hand to him.

Poker Stars
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $25.25
Guruman: $59.65
Button: $21.60
SB: $62.60
BB: $25.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Guruman is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises to $0.75</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

This is typically a button raise hand and not a co raise hand. Given pf….

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.75, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets $1.25</font>, SB calls.

This may or may not be a strong check/call. villain knows that this should miss my range and is either milking a hand or planning a move.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.25, 2 players)
SB checks, Guruman checks.

I’m intending to give up here. I’ve taken this line a couple of times before vs this villain.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises to $7</font>

when the river fourflushed and villain bet again on the induction I decided to snap raise. I really didn’t have time to think super logically about the move because I had to make it quickly in order for it to remain credible. The things in my head that I did know at the time were:
-villain has taken pots away from me before and could be bluffing
-villain’s propensity to showdown is almost parallel to his chances of having a flush
-I won’t have to raise much in order to make the move
-I’m not missing out on any ‘accidental wins’ that I could make by calling because my hand has no showdown value

Now of course this one’s much thinner than hand 1 because villain has to be bluffing in order for me to actually win $ in this hand - which is weird. I also didn’t raise much, but that’s because I’m only really stealing from bluffs. This means that I could potentially still get looked up by top pair or pp type hands. The risk I would incur to push those hands off is probably not worth it though.

3) Last one, this one is probably pretty standard. This is a diff sb than the one in hand 1.

Poker Stars
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.60
CO: $19.85
Guruman: $30.05
SB: $24.75
BB: $42.90

Pre-flop: (5 players) Guruman is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $2</font>, BB folds, Guruman calls $1.25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $3)</font>.

I make my standard late p raise and get reraised. I have enough of a hand to continue, so I do so. I’m still pretty bad with reraise ranges from the sb vs button steals, but for now I’ll put him on a suited connector, a pp, or AXs.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $2.25</font>, Guruman calls $2.25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $6.5)</font>.

I flopped the oesd and again decide to just peel vs the cont bet and see what the turn action brings. I think this type of play is one of the keys to utilizing position correctly: If you’ve got a chance to see another card and the player’s action before making borderline decisions then it tends to be best to do so. A raise here would only push off a bluff, and since I can do that later in the hand anyway I decide to take the opportunity to try and make my hand for the times villain has AA, KK, Qx or Tx

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8.75, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets $7</font>

This is a reason to screwplay big hands vs me. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] my flop peel looks like a Q at worst, and villain should give up a lot here because of how strong it is. The turn card is a blank, and if I’ve got a weak showdown bound hand I’ll tend to check through here. In this case though, I was convinced enough that villain had given up to bluff.

any thoughts or comments on any of the hands/thought processes are greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: some takeaways

I like 1, 2, I would make it a little more than a minraise, if you have been playing with this guy a lot, he might call just to see what you have, and you lose to any card higher than an 8. #3, I think you could have bet $5 on the turn and achieved the same effect...you're trying to get him to fold his most likely holding of AK, and $5 should usually do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: some takeaways

Welcome back, Guruman..hope all is well with the personal matters.

Everything looks great.

Hand one is good, especially after I read your reasoning.

Hand two is just fine, I like the min-raise mucho.

Hand three is sketchy but not bad at all, I check behind on the turn more often than not.