Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: $40-80 Badugi Hand

I was just saying from a theoretical standpoint, C/R/F seems a better way to put two BB in on the river than B/C after that turn action. Personally if I were too scared to reraise the turn I'd just check/call the river but I'm not and I don't.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok TT and 2461badugi you have both said, donk/call the river is an ok line. This bothers me because from a theory point of view it simply has to be worse than reraising the turn or checkraising the river. You guys think he is going to take a free showdown and want to prevent it? That's the only reason I can see to take a donk/call line over a check/raise/fold or reraise turn line.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off we're never ever krf-ing against a player when we don't know whether he knows what a good hand is or not. I wouldn't mind krc here, and it might be a better line than bc if we're totally sure he won't take the free showdown. I haven't played Badugi live, but every other live game I've been in bad players take free showdowns with the bizarrest hands.

Calling the threebet on third is just a reverse freeze. Since he's never ever breaking or folding a better hand than ours, why give him the chance to do it with a worse one when you can get the same bets in on the end? Sure, he probably won't do it, but he will sometimes, and it's free to prevent.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the threebet on third is just a reverse freeze. Since he's never ever breaking or folding a better hand than ours, why give him the chance to do it with a worse one when you can get the same bets in on the end? Sure, he probably won't do it, but he will sometimes, and it's free to prevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I should have said that myself in my last post, exactly what I was thinking which is why the line doesn't bother me. I still generally cap going into the third draw but if I see a player who is capable of a maniacal squeeze play or finding a fold then the OP's choice is just fine because it nets the same number of bets.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Results: Your guys lines were all a lot better than the one I took. He checked behind and showed me a rough eight. I think calling and donking would of been best.

TT- got back home yesturday.. Game was no good anyyways so you didnt miss anything not playing. All three times i played I was one of maybe two or three non-regulars. They dont play triple draw very well, but I felt like a pretty big dog in the rest of the games.

I had a lot of trouble in badugi knowing how much action to put in with my good but not awesome hands. I ran two sevens into sixes after this hand and lost more bets because i was mad at myself for not putting in enough action on the hand i posted here..
Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TT- got back home yesturday.. Game was no good anyyways so you didnt miss anything not playing. All three times i played I was one of maybe two or three non-regulars. They dont play triple draw very well, but I felt like a pretty big dog in the rest of the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that feeling, its why I don't sit in that game. I'm not so great at Omaha 8 (still better than most of the opponents I think, but not good enough yet), and I haven't a clue how to play S hi/low regular w/o a qualifier. Also my roll is depleted due to personal reasons, 15/30 is as big as I can play for the time being so I've been sitting in the baby rotation games instead at Wynn, of the rare 10/20 or 15/30 other game (yesterday at the V they spread 10/20 2-7 for example) until things go back to normal.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 PM

I don't understand the point of freezing against an opponent
who has at most four outs.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that will never break.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 > 0.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 > 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but if you justify calling as a freeze that implies that you could 4-bet for value.

Is it realistic to think that it is +EV to 4-bet, but that this EV is lower than the EV of a freeze against someone who has at most 4 outs (but on average significantly less than that)?

Not saying it's impossible it's just that it seems like this should be a fairly improbable occurrence, so it's more likely the freeze justification is just an excuse for missing a value raise.

Not that I am sure a value raise is right here... it seems right but I don't play much badugi. I think if you call it should be because you think 4-betting is -EV or is very very thin.