Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Default My 2-7 records.. any advice?

Im not sure this post belongs here, but I figure you all understand the swings of 2-7 more than most. I've kept a very basic record of my play for the last two months. In where i played 49 sessions (any play during a day was considering one session) averaging about 5 hours a session. My play was mostly at $80-160 2-7 TDL. I guess Im just surprised at my results considering how much deuce I've played in the last two years.

In 49 sessions I won 28 times.. Lost 21 times.. For a win percentage of 58%

My average win was $5635
My average loss was $5751
My peak win was $22000
My peak loss was $16500

Considering how good the games have been, I am very unimpressed with my results over the past two months. I think I should be winning more sessions, and rough estimation of my win rate at .92 BB/ hr is also pretty meh considering my judgment of my skill level relative to my opponents.

I graduate college in a few months and am trying to figure out if I can rely on my poker income to float around for a few years. I wanted to believe I was better than my results are telling me but no one can deny these online deuce games are getting tougher, and If im only scratching out .92/bb/hr in good games, i don't see much future in poker for myself. Any input (esp from Death Donkey, or anyone else playing for a living) would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: My 2-7 records.. any advice?

Hey Matt,

I'm sure you are posting this today because of a tough day yesterday, so you are in sort of a negative state of mind right now. If I can decipher your numbers correctly you made 37k in two months playing mostly one table at a time (since that's all that goes on UB at that level), hardly the worst news in the world.

It is probably true that you will not get rich as a strictly 2-7 pro over the next couple years, but if you work on some other games you will murder live mixed games. If you love the idea of playing poker everyday and the freedom that comes with that, then poker is fine for you regardless of your expectation in the current TDL games on UB, there is more poker out there than that! If, on the other hand, you just liked how much money you were able to pull out playing TDL on UB for the last year or so but are often frustrated by sitting at your computer and don't genuinely love playing every day, then looking for something else to do after graduating seems like a good choice.

Happy to speak more with you about life in poker world anytime.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 AM

Its been a while since I played 2-7 as often as I used to, but my win rate was .8 and change BB/hour over a period of something just under 400 hours. Its sucks, thats why I stooped playing the game as intensely as I used to online. Now live is a different story, I feel (possibility incorrectly) that my edge is much bigger than the average player live.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 AM

Didn't I play you at like $3/$6 not that long ago, on UB? Seems like you've progressed nicely.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM

I had a great job in the corporate world for 3 years before doing this fulltime (only about 18 months though) and there are definite pros/cons IMHO. There is tremendous freedom and financially there is more money here than in most occupations.

I won't go on forever about the pros/cons of the industry but I think if you shoudl give it a shot if you love it. As with most things in life you can only be good at then if you love them. I did and I'm glad.