Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Harvard Poker Debates

Hopefully this will be of interest to those of you in the Boston area. The newly formed Poker Strategic Thinking Society at Harvard University is going to be hosting two debates next week related to poker and the law.

Poker - a Game of Truth in Life and Law- Crandell Addington and Howard Lederer, two of poker's leading lights debate with Charles Nesson (Harvard Law School professor and poker enthusiast) and Andrew Woods as expert witnesses for the next days debate which seeks a resolution from all parties. Monday 15th October, 5pm - 6.30pm EST.

LAW as Rhetorical Poker: Antigua v. USA in the WTO- The online poker arguments will be played out in the lecture with the various participants playing from their own viewpoints. We hope to reach a resolution to the online poker problem through a game of rhetorical poker itself. Tuesday 16th October, 5pm - 6.30pm EST

Both events will take place in Room 102 Hauser Hall,
Harvard Law School
1563 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138

No RSVP is necessary, but you can PM me with questions and I'll try to get them answered for you. I'll likely be attending at least one of these and posting a report.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Harvard Poker Debates

This sounds interesting...Any chance this being broadcast on the Internet for us "laymen" to enjoy????
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds interesting...Any chance this being broadcast on the Internet for us "laymen" to enjoy????

[/ QUOTE ]

The joys of You Tube for laymen (sad gits). I am sad enough to want to watch this....please. I welcome your report but that's a bit 20th century aint it?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's talk of a webcast. I'll let you know if it happens.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Even if not a live one, tape it and toss it up someplace. Wish I could hop on the train and come up, but next week is impossible.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker - a Game of Truth in Life and Law- Crandell Addington and Howard Lederer, two of poker's leading lights debate with Charles Nesson (Harvard Law School professor and poker enthusiast) and Andrew Woods as expert witnesses for the next days debate which seeks a resolution from all parties. Monday 15th October, 5pm - 6.30pm EST.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Everyone:

Sometimes when I see stuff like this I just have to wonder. As far as I know, even though Crandall Addington finished second to Bobby Baldwin in the 1978 WSOP, he wasn't seen in poker rooms for well over 25 years and I have never seen him in person. He did resurface in Doyle Brunson's Super System 2 as the writer of the history of no-limit chapter. But I can't see how he's one of "poker's leading lights."

However, living in Boston is Bill Robertie, the co-author of the Harrington on Hold 'em series and the co-author on the soon to be released Harrington on Cash Games series who's also a Harvard graduate. I guess Professor Nesson wasn't aware of this.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 AM

so anyone can just show up? i would like to attend
Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so anyone can just show up? i would like to attend

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise money for the alum fund you can go to anything there!

Maybe even a few classes but depending on your grades you might have to build a building. Size dependent on grades and conduct as well.

D$D
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM

The Harvard Poker Debates will be filmed and will be available at www.gpsts.org sometime in the next few days.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks