Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Basic Noob Query / Apologies

[ QUOTE ]
I was planning on bringing at least 6 buyins but I suppose I can always go home if I lose it. What I might do is start off playing the cash game and if I drop enough go play small donkaments instead. I don't want to buy in short because I hate having to wait for cards and this is going to be amplified at a live, full, table.

[/ QUOTE ]
6 buy ins is a lot. If you lose this in a single day something is wrong.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Well I meant that I can always go home if I lose what I bring with me - which is going to be less than 6 buyins. 6 buyin swings are pretty standard for me online but I shouldn't have thought it was going to be the same live. If I tighten up a bit what I bring with me should be plenty. Thanks for all the comments. Should be fun.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Really depends where you go.

I played in LA where they had a 1/2 w/max buy in $40 (Hollywood Park). If you are just going to get the feel for live poker it's not a bad start most raises were $4,$6 or $8 (not sure how beatable it is longrun w/the rake, tipping, jackpot etc). A couple weeks later I went to Foxwoods buyin is $80- $300? and they basically play them game with $5 chips so $10 and $15 raises are standard.

I'd think from a BR management point 3 buyins is probably OK and maybe enough for whatever the tournament buyin is, I just think if I had lost 5 buyins reaching for that 6th one is just tilt and I probably should have went home a buyin or two ago, but I'm pretty much a nit.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM

You can always buy in short - then you can have 10 buyins for only $200! It would not be hard to win this way either. But if you have a little more roll, then there's more profit to be made with a full buyin.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would go with $600 if you plan to play a session of 1/2 live. A largest percentage of the time this will be a fine amount for a day of play. You would have to run into quite a few coolers and suckouts to lose that amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 6 buy ins for a $100 max is too high. 3 would be better. Also, does the room allow you to re buy for 150%?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I meant that I can always go home if I lose what I bring with me - which is going to be less than 6 buyins. 6 buyin swings are pretty standard for me online but I shouldn't have thought it was going to be the same live. If I tighten up a bit what I bring with me should be plenty. Thanks for all the comments. Should be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you consider common, but you may want to examine your game a bit. IMO thats a lot.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you consider common, but you may want to examine your game a bit. IMO thats a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is probably a favorite in any live 5/10 NL game spread if he is beating 100 NL online [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey