Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Whats the \"best\" sport?

If you were to evaluate a sport in all aspects, what would be the best? consider things like risk of injury, cost, sociability, ease of getting a game together, exercise, fitness level required to play, fun, and any other aspects you think are important.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Whats the \"best\" sport?

poker
Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 AM

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/01/cx_ns_1001feat.html
Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Kreis recommends a holistic approach of preparatory conditioning work with an emphasis on weight training and "a healthy mind."

[/ QUOTE ]

How are these people allowed to be doctors or even be quoted in articles? WTF I need to be dictator so I can put an end to this nonsense.

Also - Pentathlon !? Pentathlon !?!!!??
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM

In no particular order:

Squash - a reasonable skill level is required, but once you reach that, the workout is absolutely tremendous and a ton of fun

Surfing - Yeah, access is a huge issue for 98% of people out there, but if you're lucky enough to live near good waves, it has everything.

Rock Climbing - There are a lot of good climbing gyms out there, only one partner necessary for basic climbs and one can learn to belay competently in a few minutes.

Water Polo - I've never played outside of high school gym class, but if I ever had access to regular pickup games, I'm convinced it would be the toughest workout ever that I was having too much fun to realize it was actually a workout.

Full Court Basketball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee - Obvious reasons. Probably the best bets as far as popularity, accessibility, low cost, etc...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Squash is awesome, really gets you moving fast in all sorts of directions and is just plain fun.

Rock climbing, also great fun although finding a partner can be a pain in the ass - I suggest a place that allows bouldering.

Basically, whatever you enjoy the most is the best for you.

Edit - clicked the link, I stopped reading after "Old manners of getting in shape seem to us today as antiquated and inefficient as using Indian clubs and medicine balls." Erm, medicine balls can give you a great workout, I have no idea on indian clubs, but yeah, this article is badly written and pretty poor content too.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Surfing - Yeah, access is a huge issue for 98% of people out there, but if you're lucky enough to live near good waves, it has everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about the statistics, but anecdotally in my experience surfing has a pretty high injury rate. Even if you stay away from rocks and reefs, avoid the really big waves, and avoid crowded spots, newbies seem to always hurt themselves. I know a lot of guys who broke or bruised ribs which is brutally painful. But yeah, it's fun and a great workout.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM

indoor soccer
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to evaluate a sport in all aspects, what would be the best? consider things like risk of injury, cost, sociability, ease of getting a game together, exercise, fitness level required to play, fun, and any other aspects you think are important.

[/ QUOTE ] Ultimate Frisbee, only cost is for cleats, and maybe $10 if you want your own frisbee. Extremely good work out, cheap, very fun, people have pick up games everywhere so its easy to get in on games, tons of talking and getting to know new people. The only chances of getting hurt are if you pull a muscle which comes with most sports.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Something like ground fighting (Brazilian jujitsu) would be up there for me. Great combination of strength/fitness/skill. Obviously ridiculously cheap because you need no equipment and just one opponent. Chance of injury is pretty much nil if you are both careful and have a reasonable skill level.