Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Machiavellian Poker Strategy

I understand this is not a technical book about poker, but more about a general mentality to take on. Do you think this book is worth a read? It's by David Apostolico. Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Machiavellian Poker Strategy

I've skipped this one thus far after reading his Tournament Poker and the Art of War. He's seems to just take other people's work and ideas and turn them into a poker book. That's not to say his books are not good, but I found Tournament Poker and the Art of War to be very repetitive. I think if you're looking to improve your game there are many other titles that would be more beneficial to you.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've skipped this one thus far after reading his Tournament Poker and the Art of War. He's seems to just take other people's work and ideas and turn them into a poker book. That's not to his books are not good, but I found Tournament Poker and the Art of War to be very repetitive. I think if you're looking to improve your game there are many other titles that would be more beneficial to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mach. Poker Strategy is very repetitive too. As with any mediocre poker book, there are a couple of interesting ideas in it, but it won't help you much and is not worth the read IMO.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've skipped this one thus far after reading his Tournament Poker and the Art of War. He's seems to just take other people's work and ideas and turn them into a poker book. That's not to his books are not good, but I found Tournament Poker and the Art of War to be very repetitive. I think if you're looking to improve your game there are many other titles that would be more beneficial to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

After many thousands of years of human existence, are there truly any totally new thoughts?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand this is not a technical book about poker, but more about a general mentality to take on. Do you think this book is worth a read? It's by David Apostolico. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people wouldn't just read poker books and also read the translations of Sun Tzu and Machiavelli. Surely if you're intelligent enough to get the ideas at all, you will be better off finding them in their original forms and applying them to your life, including poker. These package deals smell like little more than sophisticated marketing schemes to me.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people wouldn't just read poker books and also read the translations of Sun Tzu and Machiavelli. Surely if you're intelligent enough to get the ideas at all, you will be better off finding them in their original forms and applying them to your life, including poker. These package deals smell like little more than sophisticated marketing schemes to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone else said it: get a crazy girlfriend, then get over her with acid. You'll know more about games than has ever been written down.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.