Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Stars has an overlay ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
see what happens if there are some multiaccounting accounts are banned ;D

[/ QUOTE ]

would be sad if there is any sort of truth to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

um... this was pretty much proved the weeks following the ZJ/JJ debacle. hundreds of players suddenly stopped playing mtts. Of course, lets pretend that's because they were concerned of the ability of others to multiaccount so they stopped with the online pokers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does someone have the numbers for this? If there really were hundreds less runners in all the major tournies...that would be depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how "hundreds" from one week to the next is in any way significant.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM

Considering thousands play, a couple hundred isn't really going to make a difference.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does someone have the numbers for this? If there really were hundreds less runners in all the major tournies...that would be depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this being the case, but I guess I'll take CSC's word for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't remember this happening either.

I don't really like saying "this happened because that", but there're lots of reasons why numbers might be down - FTOPS, WCOOP satellites, it's August, etc. Having a soft overlay (i.e, PS doesn't lose money due to the rake) or two isn't a disaster.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 PM

even though anybody who is posting in this thread and/or a common visitor to the forum may not understand this, but you ever think that maybe that poker climaxed about 2 years ago, and this is part of the slow decline? i mean you couldn't possibly think that the volume of players was gonna keep going up the way it was. in the end its a gambling, however you would like to define it, and to the general public its viewed upon as gambling. generally gambling is still not a socially accepted way of living/lifestyle and inevitably people will be put off from it for this reason, among many others. the die hards will always be around, but as time passes more of the very casual players who were filling up the mtt fields will stop playing and that's where we are heading now.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even though anybody who is posting in this thread and/or a common visitor to the forum may not understand this, but you ever think that maybe that poker climaxed about 2 years ago, and this is part of the slow decline? i mean you couldn't possibly think that the volume of players was gonna keep going up the way it was. in the end its a gambling, however you would like to define it, and to the general public its viewed upon as gambling. generally gambling is still not a socially accepted way of living/lifestyle and inevitably people will be put off from it for this reason, among many others. the die hards will always be around, but as time passes more of the very casual players who were filling up the mtt fields will stop playing and that's where we are heading now.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokersitescout.com/
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Stars has had several recent overlays before this. A month ago the $20k Guaranteed was short and a week ago the Nightly Hundred Grand was as well. There was another MTT that was semi-regularly having an overlay in the past month but can't remember which it was.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 AM

God, Excel 2007 is so annoying. Why did they have to change any of it? This is pathetic, it takes an hour to try to relearn why it does all of this stuff....

So anyway. Here're all the "Sunday Million" tournaments from January 2005 to March 2006, with $215 entry. It wasn't the million until the last three weeks. ZeeJustin and JJProdigy were banned right at the start of 2006. I think this shows pretty well that the numbers didn't drop.

If the suggestion is that numbers fell by 200 across the entire site's tournaments, that number is too small to measure due to random noise in entrants, so is improvable either way, and thus of no interest in defence or support of the position.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars has had several recent overlays before this. A month ago the $20k Guaranteed was short and a week ago the Nightly Hundred Grand was as well. There was another MTT that was semi-regularly having an overlay in the past month but can't remember which it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, same reasons though - WCOOP sats, EPT sats, FTOPS, August. It's a cyclical thing, numbers have always been pretty poor in the summer.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Brag: I think I just posted the first serious graph in NVG's history
Beat: I think I just posted the first serious graph in NVG's history
Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Excellent graph, but we are in August, 2007 so there is some more data, particularly regarding the UIGEA effect.