Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: The Well: QFGelfordness

Do you use a HUD? I've got about as far as looking at a villains VPIP and particularly PFR before I get involved with him preflop, and I guess I notice high agro and high fold BB to steal. Have you had any big breakthroughs using HUD's where what you saw changed the way you play online or do you think they are overrated.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you recently made a big rowithrawo trip to 25 and 50nl before returning to 100.

can you detail the main ajdustments you make to your play between these three levels?

(specific stuff like getting b3b when i have xx is a fold at 25 but a call at 50 would be great)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually approached the whole thing wrong, I went ... oh well, those levels suck, so I'm just going to fire up 8-9 tables, nit it up and profit.

The boredom of this exercise made play like [censored].

I am best 3-4 tabling and playing slightly gong-ho poker based on the actual villians, once I returned to that, I just tore up true the limits.

But here is a bit of Gelfordness ... the fact of the matter is, that there is no limit specific adjustment, all this talk about playing this a way at 25NL and this way at 200NL is meh.

Poker is about individual opponents and spotting these.

At 25NL there are more scared nitty multitabling regs. Their 3betting (and more ranges are something like QQ+ and nothing else), you can abuse them and fold anything but KK+ to resistance.

Then there are those, where you can felt AJ, 88+ preflop. ... etc etc.

But pay attention is all I can say ??
Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 AM

What timing tells do you pick up? What does a quick check, a quick call, a long wait before a call, a long wait before a raise or bet, a quick raise etc. mean for you? How does your estimation depend on the way he has been playing, e.g. is a slow call by a TAG player rather strength than weakness and the other way round if he was a passive calling station?

How do you handle the swings?

How do you control tilt?

Please vote on my pole: Natalie Portman
Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you use a HUD? I've got about as far as looking at a villains VPIP and particularly PFR before I get involved with him preflop, and I guess I notice high agro and high fold BB to steal. Have you had any big breakthroughs using HUD's where what you saw changed the way you play online or do you think they are overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a HUD

I have vpip/pfr/AF/hands and then AF by street, wtsd and Att to Steal showing.

That being said, I think they are overrated and don't use it much. Basically it is a table selecting tool more than a decision making tool (in other words, I use the stats to determine if the table is good, but I use them less frequently to dertermine how to play during a hand, tho it is not like I never get influenced by my HUD)
Old 07-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks for doing that.

Non-poker related. You once said poker helped you get out of your [censored] job and finish your thesis.

So now that you have a master degree (in economics, right?), whats your plan for job/poker?

what was your [censored] job?

I let others ask poker related questions.

Thanks,

K
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Could you give some general advice on bet-sizing on the flop taking into account, position, number of opponents, the action before the flop, texture of the board etc. We took the initiative preflop.

spanks /lb
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What timing tells do you pick up? What does a quick check, a quick call, a long wait before a call, a long wait before a raise or bet, a quick raise etc. mean for you? How does your estimation depend on the way he has been playing, e.g. is a slow call by a TAG player rather strength than weakness and the other way round if he was a passive calling station?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always shake my head, when posters on 2+2 say that timing tell are not important.

To me they are crucial and I rely a lot on them. They are player dependent, good example with the tag and the passive you mention.

It is hard to say and often player/board dependent. A long think oop is either a sign of strength (often) or a inner discussion whether to bluff or not.

Quick check is often a marginal hand (tho once in a while it is followed by an insta c/r and showing of the nuts)

In generel there is a flow to a table, this guy is fast, this guy is a bit slower, and anything that does not fit into that flow is what I notice.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you handle the swings?

How do you control tilt?

Please vote on my pole: Natalie Portman

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what can I say ... it is freaking poker, so chance is involved and if it wasn't then fish and donks wouldn't play (not much money involved in chess ... eh ??)

I can understand that a long strech of running bad makes you doubt yourself, but be honest about it, talk to some fellow 2+2ers or similar and work hard ... look for leaks.

But YO! .... most seem to view themselves like this

So if someone questions the size fo their epenis, it calls for this

And then the cards don't fall their way and we have to listen to this ... sigh (man up for the love of God)

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Btw, Natalie Portman is way overrated, she is very pretty, but there is absolutely nothing sexy about her.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing that.

Non-poker related. You once said poker helped you get out of your [censored] job and finish your thesis.

So now that you have a master degree (in economics, right?), whats your plan for job/poker?

what was your [censored] job?

I let others ask poker related questions.

Thanks,

K

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh .. dunno yet, GF is hard on my case to get a job soon (she doesn't care what, as long as I have one), me ... well .... I really am not picky with regards to what I do, but I am looking for a place where I can just do my job and not have to play a zillion coorparate mindgames.

I was a consultant/salesperson/advisor ... whatever you call it in one of the largest realestate morgage firms. Primarily I pushed real estate loans, but also banking and insurance.