Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Dealer Falls Asleep In Box

Long time lurker with very few posts.

Playing this weekend at the Shoe in Tunica, which is normally one of my favorite places to play. Generally, the dealers are very good, even if some are a little too chatty for my liking.

Anyway, a new dealer sits in the box and she is unbelievably slow and clearly tired. I am stuck and generally peaved about the fact that every hand is taking forever when something I have never seen before takes place - she actually falls asleep in the box during the middle of a hand. Actually, she didn't even complete the deal; she fell asleep in between dealing to the hijack and button. Keep in the mind this is about 1:00 in the afternoon. Pretty unbelievable.

A few hands later, of course, this leads to a mistake. The 2 seat is in a hand with me (in the 8 seat) and the villain in the 9. Anyway, we get to the turn on a Q-2-2-x board, and I bet. The villian calls and the 2 seat checkraises (this is limit and means he has a 2 everytime). I fold but the villian calls. The dealer during this time has called over another dealer on break and is whispering to him (presumably telling him the story that she fell asleep in the box) and is not paying any attention to the game. During all the commotion, the 2 seat thinks that everyone has folded and tosses in his cards. The dealer pulls them in on top of the burn, but has not yet mucked them when she realizes that the villan called. The cards are clearly identifiable and the floor (correctly in my opinion) rules that he did not fold and the 2 seat gets his hand back. The river is dealt and the 2 seat (of course) had K-2.

I then had to listen to the villan complain for the next three hours about how the 2 seat had mucked his hand and the pot should have been his. I blame all of this on the dealer, who was one of the worst I have ever seen.

Anyway, pretty interesting story that I thought everyone might get a kick out of.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Dealer Falls Asleep In Box

I had the same thing happen to me at 6am at the Taj once
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I blame all of this on the dealer

[/ QUOTE ]

So as I understand it, whenever a player makes a mistake and throws in their cards while their is still action this was caused by the dealer. Had the dealer been doing their job this player would have paid more attention to the game?

Lets imagine that this was the best dealer you ever saw in your life. She hadn't fallen asleep in the box momemts before, she was entirely attentive to the game.

Now seat 2 throws in his cards? What is the dealer to do? Muck them immediately thereby making sure that player 2's mistake is final and permanent? Do you think that if that happens your not going to hear player 2 complain for the next three hours? Or should she give them back to player 2? thereby forcing you listen to the villian's complaints? Or should she do as she did? Call the floor and let the floor rule.

It seems to me that no matter what she does your going to here about it for the next three hours.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I blame all of this on the dealer

[/ QUOTE ]

So as I understand it, whenever a player makes a mistake and throws in their cards while their is still action this was caused by the dealer. Had the dealer been doing their job this player would have paid more attention to the game?

Lets imagine that this was the best dealer you ever saw in your life. She hadn't fallen asleep in the box momemts before, she was entirely attentive to the game.

Now ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer calls out "two to the river", quickly burns and turns the river card. The 2 seat would then realize that the villian was still in the hand and would continue as if this were like any other hand. At least thats would happen at Foxwoods.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm not saying the dealer has no fault here. I'm simply saying that Player 2 also has fault here. Seat 2 wasn't paying attention -- original poster says this is all dealers fault , I say Dealer and Player 2 share fault.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying the dealer has no fault here. I'm simply saying that Player 2 also has fault here. Seat 2 wasn't paying attention -- original poster says this is all dealers fault , I say Dealer and Player 2 share fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it seems like you are saying that it was not the dealer's fault. I agree, seat 2 should have been watching closely, and I even said to myself, seat 2 almost learned a hard lesson. But, I have no doubt this would not have happened had the dealer been paying close attention. I have never complained (to management) about dealers before, and I didnt do so here either.

To her credit, she did correctly call the floor and the floor made the correct ruling. Your statement about what my thoughts would be if she were paying attention is moot, because this situation would almost definitely not occured if she were paying attention.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that the dealer in this case is mostly at fault here. However if I were Player 2, I would take 100% responsibility anyway because blaming anyone else for times when I muck my own winning hand will lead me to do it again... To date I have yet to muck a winning hand - thanks in part to all of the posts in this forum. I always wait until a pot is pushed to me by the dealer before I relinquish my cards and only once did I ever muck after the river based on a verbal declaration by a player (who was telling the truth - but I realized later that he could have been mistaken or lying). Now I always wait for my opponents to flip their cards before conceding a pot.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Hee, this made me giggle.

Blahblahblah fault blame caca dealer protectyourhand0rz yawn.

Let's hear more "dealer sleeping" stories!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, a new dealer sits in the box and she is unbelievably slow and clearly tired.

[/ QUOTE ] I know the dealer your talking about. She told me about it. She just had surgury last week and was on some heavy pain meds. She's back to her normal chatty self now.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 PM

Quick point:

In LA it's not uncommon for a dealer to go several straight hours without a break when it's extremely busy (let's say during a tournament).

In these cases as a player it's best to recognize these spots and help the dealer and/or play carefully.

~ Rick