Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Jewish poker professionals

pool
Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Raging Yiddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an interview attached to this picture? Link pls!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Parlahd Friedman?

The first name seems arabic to me, but the last name is pure Jew.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Friedman is a German name. Many Jewish surnames (including mine) are German, shared with non-Jews of German descent. The vice-principal at my high school was Mr. Friedman, and he was as Pennsylvania Dutch as they come.

The three most common Jewish surnames in the United States are Cohen (and variants), Levy and variants, and Miller (who knew?). For the record Miller was my ex-husband's name, and the Millers were German Catholic (Mueller originally).

Anyway, since Jews are matrilineal, the surname, if inherited from the father, is irrelevant. Senator Cohen of Maine is not Jewish because his mother wasn't, even though his father was.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just found out that The Grinder is Israeli and it got me to thinking about how many other pros out there are fellow Jews that I wasn't aware of.

Help me complete this list. Forgive any misspellings.

Barry Greenstein
Howard Lederer
David Sklansky
Eli Elezera
Michael Mizrachi
Phil Gordon
Mike Matusow
Gabe Kaplan
Cory Zeidman

By the way, I'm refering to the ethnicity, not the religion, as I understand that a lot of these guys are atheists and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Howard Lederer is Jewish, then so is Annie Duke (if they have the same mother....).
Old 06-26-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Parlahd Friedman?

The first name seems arabic to me, but the last name is pure Jew.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Friedman is a German name. Many Jewish surnames (including mine) are German, shared with non-Jews of German descent. The vice-principal at my high school was Mr. Friedman, and he was as Pennsylvania Dutch as they come.

The three most common Jewish surnames in the United States are Cohen (and variants), Levy and variants, and Miller (who knew?). For the record Miller was my ex-husband's name, and the Millers were German Catholic (Mueller originally).

Anyway, since Jews are matrilineal, the surname, if inherited from the father, is irrelevant. Senator Cohen of Maine is not Jewish because his mother wasn't, even though his father was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrinlineal descent is a religious rule. It has nothing to do with ethnicity. If someone has only 1 parent of Jewish ancestry then he is half-jewish, half-other parent's ancestry. However, depending on which parent is Jewish this same person may be considered either a jew or a non-jew by religious Jews.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Keep in mind that only a slight few are Israelis. The rest are jewish by heritage.

Eli Elezra (WPT winner, 4k/8k player), Eli Balas (2-times bracelet winner), David Levi (very solid tournament pro) & Rafi Amit (10k PLO bracelet winner) are all Israelis.

There a few others, like Asher Derei & Alex Kahaner (not a pro, but won over 1mil in the WPT legends of poker).

The grinder is not Israeli, his parents (or at least his father) are. He's jewish, that's for sure. There's a very good chance that to find an israeli heritage in the Phil Gordon type jews, you'll have to go back a millennium or two.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky is a Jew? Figures. Is Miller's mom "LittleOldLady" on these forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and for the record, I am a Jew, and therefore my son Edward is a Jew. I do not believe that there is a God, and as far as I know, neither does my son. But Judaism as a religion is not a belief--it is a practice. To be a practicing Jew it is not necessary to believe in anything, including the existence of a divine creator(although probably most practicing Jews do so believe). To be an observant Jew it is only necessary to obey the laws of Judaism and to guide one's life by its ethical principles. The various forms of Judaism differ as to how the laws are to be observed, but all adhere to the Jewish system of ethics. Technically Judaism can be described as ethical monotheism.

To go back to Jews and poker, Alvarez tells an story of Gabe Kaplan and Dolly Brunson observing at the final table of the WSOP. As it happened at that point 3 Jews and 3 Texans were all who remained. So Gabe and Dolly made a bet as to whether one of Gabe's people would win or one of Dolly's. Gabe won the bet, and Stu Ungar won the bracelet.

(BTW it is possible to be both a Jew and Texan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(BTW it is possible to be both a Jew and Texan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Thus Kinky Friedman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good post, though. Judaism takes on many forms: A religion, an Ethnicity, and a culture. For many people, Judaism is more of a cultural identity than it is a true belief system. I, myself, strongly identify as culturally Jewish, but only weakly as religiously Jewish.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM

An ethnic Jew and an expert on Kristin Lavransdatter. Well, now we know which side of the family Ed gets the brains from.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
 is offline

Phil Ivey?