Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Whats the \"best\" sport?

A work-out isn't the only thing that defines a sport by far.

Football sure does require a ton of equipment to be played at anything that's even a close approximation to the way it's really played. You could just as well say flying doesn't require a plane.

Swimming is a great work-out, but a poor sport.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:07 AM

Ultimate.

+anyone can play
+lots of cardivascular
+combines frisbee, soccer, basketball, football
+fun
+low cost
+not complicated
+no need to be tall or jump (though it does help, it's way less of a big deal than basketball)
+practically no contact = min. risk of injury
Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Football sure does require a ton of equipment to be played at anything that's even a close approximation to the way it's really played. You could just as well say flying doesn't require a plane.

[/ QUOTE ] Im not saying a work out is the only thing that defines a sport. The "Best" sport is not one where the most you do is walk a little ways then swing then walk a little ways. Also one that costs tons of money.
Also having all the right equipment shouldnt count if you can play the sport the right way with out it. Ive never played football once with more than cleats. Also how many people play soccer with 2 cones(or markers for goals) is that not really soccer then? Also I dont put football at the top because of risk of injury, and its limited to guys(if you play tackle) which 2 hand touch just blows.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate.

+anyone can play
+lots of cardivascular
+combines frisbee, soccer, basketball, football
+fun
+low cost
+not complicated
+no need to be tall or jump (though it does help, it's way less of a big deal than basketball)
+practically no contact = min. risk of injury

[/ QUOTE ] I had basketball in my top but you definitely need some skills to play. Some people I know cant even hit the rim with the basketball. Soccer and Ultimate, anyone can kick a ball or throw a Frisbee which is good. Dont need to be a freakish athlete either.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Im not saying a work out is the only thing that defines a sport. The "Best" sport is not one where the most you do is walk a little ways then swing then walk a little ways. Also one that costs tons of money.
Also having all the right equipment shouldnt count if you can play the sport the right way with out it. Ive never played football once with more than cleats. Also how many people play soccer with 2 cones(or markers for goals) is that not really soccer then? Also I dont put football at the top because of risk of injury, and its limited to guys(if you play tackle) which 2 hand touch just blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm thinking of playing football, I'm definitely not thinking of playing touch football.

I'm not a fan of golf myself, and know it has limitations like expense. I was just saying it remains a great sport anyway, as it is extremely social and can be played even when old, and by either sex. What else are you going to play even halfway competitively, and continue to refine your skill on, at 55 or 60 or beyond? It's one of those sports that has really strong, maybe even irreplaceable virtues, whether it's one's cup of tea or not. I'd highly recommend it to anyone for its social aspects alone, and its common use that way in business, too.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:50 PM

basketball, lacrosse, ice hockey, tennis all superfun sports to play.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Hendricks,
I'm not saying you have to emulate pros when you play, but for football, I always thought tackling and therefore padding were integral parts of the sport, and to exclude them, would make a game "mock" football. On the otherhand, I get the impression that in hockey, although checking is important, a game would maintain its hockeyness without it. Just seems like in hockey, there are so many other things, like skating, puck handling, and shooting, whereas in football without the tackling its basically catching and throwing. I have never played either of these so this could be very off...

As for golf being a workout, if you take a cart or get a caddy its not much of a workout, but carrying your bag for 5-6 hours on top of the swing keeps you healthy. Not an intense workout, but definitely good exercise.

Also what Blarg said.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 PM

me and my friends play tackle football quite a bit and you dont need pads or any equipment to play.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my friends play tackle football quite a bit and you dont need pads or any equipment to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, used to do this all the time in high school...just need a bunch of guys and a football...nobody every got hurt other than scrapes and whatnot...
Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, used to do this all the time in high school...just need a bunch of guys and a football...nobody every got hurt other than scrapes and whatnot...

[/ QUOTE ]

huh...guess I'm just a giant vagina then.