1 p.m. EST 4 12.12%
3 p.m EST 4 12.12%
5 p.m. EST 4 12.12%
7 p.m. EST 14 42.42%
9 p.m. EST 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: 16 weeks into a 24 week physical challenge w/pics

LOL, jeez, don't give up so early. I see just as many 41 year old guys with hotties on their arms as younger guys.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tx,

Did you once have a belly-button ring? My girlfriend has a similar scar at the top of her belly button.

Cause, if so, that's pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

i had an apendectomy.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously ... pose like a bodybuilder, not like a [censored] gigolo-wannabe. I almost ejaculated all over my computer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM

With most posters, when they post pics of themselves, I'm usually surprised by what they look like. They never look like I expected them to look.

TxRedMan is the first poster who actually looks *exactly* like I would have imagined him to look.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: UPDATE: 24 weeks into a 24 week challenge

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in all honesty my lats are pretty wide, i measure 60" in the chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arnold Schwarzenegger's chest was 57 inches. Your chest is bigger than Arnolds? NO WAY!

According to his autobiography, ARNOLD: THE EDUCATION OF A BODYBUILDER, Arnold is 6'2", or 1.88 meters tall. His measurements at the peak of his career were;
Arms: 22 inches
Chest: 57 inches
Waist: 34 inches
Thighs: 28.5 inches
Calves: 20 inches
Weight: 235 pounds

http://www.schwarzenegger.com/en/help/index.asp#0

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW...I live right by Arnold and one day he stepped out of his SUV with his bodyguards right next to me as i was out walking around. I'm 5'11", and there's no way he was even close to my height. He MIGHT be 5'9", but i'm not even sure about that.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM

No offense to the OP, but you look like an idiot.

I'm sure you're not one - you own your own company, you have the discipline to get back into shape, etc etc. You just look dumb, like ... not stupid, but ... like you tried too hard to look badass.

And no, I wouldn't say this to your face.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM

and i wont say this to your face....classic

how many calories a day do you avg

post some of the snacks you take im running out of ideas
Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i wont say this to your face....classic

how many calories a day do you avg

post some of the snacks you take im running out of ideas

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont *average* any amount of calories so to speak.

a fourteen day caloric intake for me might look like this:

3000, 3200, 3000, 2000, 1800, 2000, 2800, 3200, 3500, 2500, 2200, 2000, 3000, 3500.

twoblacknines:
[ QUOTE ]
sup man, I was reading thru some of your post in the: 16 weeks into a 24 week physical challenge.

Obv you were trying to cut some weight but since you know your [censored] pretty well do you have any basic advice for looking to add pounds. I just got a gym membership and am just starting to work out but feel kinda lost cus there is so much information out there I am not sure which direction to take for best results. Also, I struggle sometimes to get enough calories in.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume you have a lean body composition/fast metabolism and that's why you struggle to gain weight.

The first thing you need to do is get a high quality weight gainer. I doubt they make it anymore, but if you find 'russian bear' i reccomend it. Don't over do it on the weight gainer, though. If you can only handle 1-2 scoops at a time in a glass of milk, then so be it. The key in that situation is to make sure you're taking your weight gainer 3x/day. And shop around for it, too. Find the one that has good reviews + lots of protein that is made up of egg, milk, and whey proteins.

Try and add 1000-1500 calories of weight gainer per day to your normal eating schedule. Also, do not skip meals. Now, let me be specific: do not wakeup and slam a 1000 calories weight gainer shake then go eat breakfast immediately and eat 5 eggs three pancakes and two glasses of OJ. please don't do that. space it apart.

ideally, you'd wakeup at 7:00 a.m. and immediately throw down about 500 calories of weight gainer and then eat a normal breakfast 45 minutes later. have another 500 calories of weight gainer around 10:30 a.m., then lunch at 12:30 p.m. workout around 3:00 and slam another 500 calories of weight gainer right after your workout. eat a big dinner w/ lots of meat and starchy carbs, and have a protein shake (not weight gainer) immediately before bed time.

this should put you in the ball park of 4000-4500 calories per day, which, will make just about anyone gain weight, and w/ a fast metabolism and a good training regimen you'll be able to gain a significant amount of muscle tissue.

note: fat guys, or soft/chubby guys should not use weight gainer to gain muscle. it's meant for guys who are naturally lean and can't hardly gain weight at all, as they have the natural disposition to burn fat for energy w/ their high metabolisms, so leave weight gainer to the skinny lean guys.

blacknines: check this thread for some great info on lifting. i cut to the chase and offer advice from what has worked for me and the people i used to train.

key principles are always: lift heavy, lift hard, use free weights, and kill it in the gym. [censored] kill it. go in their with a die hard mentality.

as Arnold once said

"be here, now"

focus.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 PM

whodatdare: [ QUOTE ]
Hello TxRedMan,
I recently joined a gym and want to start a workout program to buid up my upper body. I will be lifting 3 times a week, and am wondering if you could give mesome suggestions on what exercizes to concentrate on. I want to build up my bi's, tri's delts, lats, back and pecs. I will be using Cybex machines to start with. Any suggestions? And thank you in advance.

whodatdare

[/ QUOTE ]

my first suggestion is that you commit to at least 4x/week. 3x/week isn't enough days to work out the muscle groups you mentioned above. my next suggestion is that you hit legs as well. i also want you to use free weights, in fact, i insist that you use free weights for the core of your program so you don't waste your time in the gym using machines that do not develop real world strength and that give you a false sense of muscular development.

a little story:

when i was a freshman in high school i was bench pressing on a smith machine. i didn't know the difference. i thought i could lift 280 pounds, and i thought i was very strong. then during football workout we went to maxout on bench press. i couldn't do 225 that day, and from then on i never touched a machine unless it was to further exhaust a muscle group that i had already worked out with free weights first.

your lats' are your back for the most part OP, just to clarify, your lats are the muscles that spread sort of like wings when you flex your back. they're the muscles you use to do something like pull ups or pull downs, and rows, too.

i do not want you to be afraid of using free weights. you will thank me for this later. i understand that a lot of beginners are afraid of using free weights as they can be fairly intimidating to an uncoordinated lifter, which is why i also insist that a beginner use a light weight for a high volume until they have gained the proper form to lift heavier.

free weights are to steroids what machines are to OTC supplements. free weights will get you bigger, stronger, and more in shape exponentially faster than machines.

please take this advice.

for biceps you'll want to try the following exercises, and pick the ones you like the most.

barbell curls
alternating dumbell curls
preacher curls
hammer curls

i want you to either do barbell or alternating dumbell curls as your first exercise. for the first three weeks, i want you to be doing 1x15 as a warmup, 2x12, 3x10, 1x8.

then you will do hammer curls (just like an alternating dumbell curl, but w/ your palms facing inward) 1x12, 3x10, 1x8.

after that you can go to any bicep curl machine and do two sets of 10 reps.

i want you to stick to that basic workout for biceps for three weeks, them PM me the results and how you feel with it and we'll move on.

delts-

military press- this is where you are seated in a chair that has a back to it and you lift the bar over your head with your shoulders.

this lift takes a long time to master and perform correctly, but it has tremendous benefits when done properly.

if you can only do the bar 15 times, this is fine, and will constitute your warmup set.

then find a weight that you can do 12 reps with w/o assistance, and perform 4 sets of 12. do not strain on these sets. the weight needs to be a weight that you could do 15 reps with if you had to.

upright rows

grab a barbell and pull it up to the tip of your nose.

1x15 1x12 2x10

shoulder shrugs

2x12 2x10

use that same protocol for back with these exercises

deadlift (follow instructions for military press, and research this thread for advice on form)

lat pulldowns

barbell rows

(purchase a weight lifting belt for deadlifts)

chest and triceps:

barbell bench press

after a thorough warmup, find a weight that you can handle for 15 reps. 2x12, 2x10, 1x8

focus on using perfect form. take the weight down slow and in control. keep your ass on the bench. try and explode at the bottom of each rep, but maintain control of the weight. do not increase weight on bench until you have perfect form. you can't put the cart before the horse in weight training, or you run the risk of getting hurt.

incline dumbell bench press: this exercise is great for developing strength in the stabilizer muscles that you use in overhead lifts and in bench press. 4x10 1x8, again, focus on learning perfect form.

pec deck: 3x10 1x8

narrow grip bench press

i want you to pause at the bottom of each rep, not letting the weight to sit on your chest, rather, holding the weight at the bottom for a pause (one second), then exploding upwards, but still in control.

2x12 w/ a weight that allows you to do 12 fairly easy reps

2x10

1x8

i do not want you reaching failure on ANY of your reps for the first three weeks.

triceps pushdowns

3x12

2x8

keep your back straight and don't bend or heave or cheat in any way, only use your triceps to push the weight down.

if you can workout 4x/week, use this scedule

day 1

chest/tri's

day 2

shoulders

day 3

off

day 4

back/bi's

day 5

off

day 6

legs!!!

day 7

off

REPEAT!

START DOING LEGS NOW SO YOU WON'T REGRET NOT DOING THEM WHEN YOU STARTED!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense to the OP, but you look like an idiot.

I'm sure you're not one - you own your own company, you have the discipline to get back into shape, etc etc. You just look dumb, like ... not stupid, but ... like you tried too hard to look badass.

And no, I wouldn't say this to your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sort of meaningless. i'm spending a lot of time giving advice to lots of members and offering whatever i can in way of motivation and help, and you chime in with with this drivel.

you could say it to my face, and it's not like i'd snap and hurt you. i'd probably laugh and walk away.

whatever.