Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Smoked Meat

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, how do you cook with heat that high? Is it basically Pittsburghing it? Steak 30 sec a side, then into an oven for a few minutes? Or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally like my thick steaks super rare so basically what I do on teh gas grill, is get it up to about 6 or 700 depending on teh weather, sear it for about 2 minutes per side, take it off, put it on a plate and cover with tin foil for 5 to 10 where it continues to cook.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 PM

I've cooked decent pizza in a WSM on a pizza stone. No pan, using an inverted cake tin to raise the stone up into the dome and to provide deflection for indirect cooking.

I need to find a better dough recipe, as the dough I used baked just fine, but the taste was too bland.

I have also done a leg of lamb. Smeared with butter & Mopped with garlic & red wine. Steady low temp ( as per any other meat). Was a big full leg, bone in. Probably about 4-5 hour cook using hickory for smoke.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM

The Big Green Egg is awesome. You can get temps over 700 or slow cook for over 30 hours with refueling. Their forum is very useful also.

http://www.greeneggers.com/wwwboard/...wwwboard.shtml
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM

When I was a kid, my dad used the smoker to make beef jerky.. and it was life changing
Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid, my dad used the smoker to make beef jerky.. and it was life changing

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made jerky before, but I've always just used a dehydrator, I do like the idea of smoking the meat before hand though.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain earlier this year and it's amazing.

also, Pig Candy:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/bacon1.html
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 AM

I have quite a bit of experience with pork. Shoulder, ribs and boston butts are the standard smoking fair where I grew up in Alabama. I have used an offset firebox like this for several years.

I use hickory as my wood of choice. One trick I learned from my Dad was to find a hickory tree and pick up the fallen nuts. Soak these in water and use them on your fire. If you can find the green (fresh fallen) ones all the better.

As far as exotic meats go, I had a fraternity brother with a big cooker who would smoke whole hogs and believe it or not goats. The goat was actually really good.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made jerky before, but I've always just used a dehydrator, I do like the idea of smoking the meat before hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had lots of jerky that was extremely plain, and tasted just like, well, dehydrated meat. It's the spices and all that make beef jerky really shine. The smoking route seems like it would be the way I'd like it best.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 PM

I've done a lot of the standard meals on the smoker.. including pulled pork (6-9 lbs), ribs, pork chops, whole chickens, beer can chicken etc...

But I've always done it with charcoal. Tomorrow I'm going to try and do an 8 lb boston butt (bone in pork shoulder), but for the first time I'm going to cook with hickory wood chunks. Anything I should be worried about?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:42 PM

I'll share some of my recipe(s)..... I'll try and do them in seperate posts when I have time.

The first one is the pulled pork I do... although it sounds like you should defer to rutang... but here goes:

I don't use a mop either, as it seems to elongate the cooking time...

I do use a rub taht consists of

1 tbls mild hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon hot hungarian paprika
1/2 ts celery salt
1/2 ts garlic salt
1/2 ts dry mustard
1/2 ts freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ts onion powder
1/2 ts kosher salt....

I try and make sure I can get a good layer of fat on top of the roast, but since I'm in the midwest it is harder to get pork shoulder. If you're not in the south east make sure you call the butcher ahead of time.

I make a vinegar sauce that is

2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup firlmly packed brown sugar.
5 teaspoons kosher salt
4 ts hot red pepper flakes
1 ts fresh ground black pepper
1 ts fresh ground white pepper...

I smoke the pork shoulder (depending on size) 6-10 hours or so at around 250.... to date I have only used wood chips but I use a mixture of 80-90% hickory and the rest applewood. I soak the chips in apple juice.

I also make some slaw with the vinegar sauce... about 1 1/2 cups of it to about 1 lb of fresh chopped cabbage... this I put on the sandwich too.

I make some pretty good baked beans I'll share later.