Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Time pots

Some people like them. I went along so I wouldnt be a killjoy, but I really didnt know if it was to my advantage or disadvantage to do so. What's the advantages or disadvantages of the timepot for a TAGgy player; what about for a LAG/TAG?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Time pots

Good question. Let's scroll two posts down and find out.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:13 PM

they expedite the process of collecting time so that more hands are dealt. this is especially important at higher stakes games. in white chip games and most red chip games its not nearly as important because people have the current denominations of chips to pay the time without needing change.

if you decline to play the timepot and pay your own time, it will give you a natural edge over the table as players will be forced to fold slightly more often while you wont be. however, not paying the time to gain a natural edge over the table could be considered unethical. time pots were developed to speed up the game, and here you are declining to do time pots to take advantage of the others who are agreeing to the time pot for practical purposes.

by doing time pots, good players in general will have an extra edge in the game. this is because a good player will understand how he needs to adjust his play to the time pot whereas novices wouldnt. however, if you are a laggy player and make money by playing many pots, time pots might hurt your expectation because it will force you to tighten up and deviate from your approach.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Time pots are ridiculous - just pay your time and move on. I've never participated in one, and likely never will.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 PM

I laugh at the thought of a professional dealer not being able to make change fast enough for time collection.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM

I'll play the time pot if it seems that its the best way to keep the desirables around and happy. I won't run it or help administer unless there's something getting screwed up with sitting out stacks and the game is slowing down.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I laugh at the thought of a professional dealer not being able to make change fast enough for time collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what's up with that? Besides, I've always had runners bring me $80 red and $20 white to go with my green/black for big games. That way I can pay time for a long time before there's any issue. It's not that hard.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Three active threads on time pots at the same time is too much. Locked, please take the discussion into one of the other active threads.
Closed Thread