Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Re: 10/20. Overbet bluff in barrels in a paired board.

[ QUOTE ]
why dont u have 2k on table?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had just lost a hand and didn't click the reload button fast enough. Nothing out of line though.
I guess it's not a good idea to make a move just after loosing a hand though...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why go out of your way to underbet the turn so you can overbet the river when you could just bet more on the turn and have the river bet be pot-sized or close to it?

[/ QUOTE ]
The thought process is that it wouldn't add a lot of fold equity on the turn to bet slightly more. However a slight overbet on the river looks scary (wouldnt a bluff be half the pot?), and figures to fold anything but a king or better.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:56 AM

I like raising the flop, and overbetting the turn as well. Both sound like strong lines to me.
(By the way you are correct about the range. He didn't think for very long, and called with 88.)

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have bet a tiny bit more on the turn so your bet on the river is an exact pot bet. If you had decided to bluff no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep it simple right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Why do you like these amounts better? My gut tells me the slight overbet folds more hands on the river while the fold equity on the turn is not great anyway. I am curious?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you move up, this becomes a pretty standard play. Your logic is fine. Occasionally someone will slowplay a boat against u here or have AA, but a lot of times you can steal this. I don't think you need the overbet, as if someone is going to call the pot on the river, they will call ur overbet and will save you money in long run. Id bet about the pot and if he makes a good call or was slowplaying then reload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? He's a shorty. Nobody folds against a shorty until the shorty proves he can play (which is almost never). Seems like a standard play by UTG to induce a bluff. A pair of 4's has a good chance of calling this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. Are you reffering to people buying low or just anyone being shortstacked at any point? I was only short for the space of one hand: I had bought in for the maximum and just lost a pot.

Does this affect the situation in your opinion? Or nobody will fold purely because I am short enough that it's not expensive to be wrong/I am more likely to make a move?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have bet a tiny bit more on the turn so your bet on the river is an exact pot bet. If you had decided to bluff no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep it simple right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Why do you like these amounts better? My gut tells me the slight overbet folds more hands on the river while the fold equity on the turn is not great anyway. I am curious?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you do a calculation on how many hands its optimal to bluff Im quite certain that you will find that you can bluff the most amount of hands profitable by designing the last bet to be pot. I havent done this calc though.

FWIW, I believe your betsizing is better than close to pot on the turn and then less than pot on the river but as I said before I havent checked.

Ps. I dont think you should base your betsizes on this type of data but it might be worthwhile to know the optimal betsizing so you dont stay so far away from it vs a good player.