Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Uncomfortable carrying large sums of money...please help

I don't think this question deserves a new thread so I thought I'd ask it here.

say you go to vegas for a few days, leave for a week, and come back for a few days. What are my options for stashing some cash for the week that I leave?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need to stop reading these threads when they come around because every one makes me a little bit more paranoid to carry around a lot of dollars in my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where you live. Mike L and I are gonna jump you, take all your monies. Instant Robusto! Bwahahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately I shouldn't really have a problem because I go home with no money. I guess you guys could take my wallet which has like a million 20s in it because I never use my money and the 20s, much like herpes, come back no matter how many times I try to get rid of them. You could also take my credit card that doesn't even work any more or my ATM which probably has at least one hundred dollars left. While the monetary gain would not be great I guess you could rape me and take my Ocean's 11 card to use in the freeroll whenever it is because I would guess I was the first person in the 40 game to get the 120 hours needed for 2 shots in it. Shame that I couldn't win any money over those hours.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all the advice, but honestly am a bit suprised / confused that several people think it means I am playing too high just because $2000 is a lot of money to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob - this is gambling 101 stuff which it seems you have not grasped yet. You are playing outside of your bankroll requirements, you wont find many people here that think this is wise - hence the comments your getting so far. I think your getting good advice, you should step down in limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read lots about bankroll requirements. Malmuth's Gambling Theory and Poker Essays on it, etc. I have also always read online (here and other places) that these are meant for professional poker players, who won't be able to earn a living if they lose their bankroll. I'm not a professional, and not trying to live off poker income at all. It would not upset me to lose a $500 buyin at a 10/20 game, and it wouldn't really bother me that much to lose most of my current $3000 working bankroll at the tables, I would just step down then. It would just bother me to lose the money or get robbed because that is something outside of the randomness of gambling.

Also, no matter what limits I play or how rich I somehow get, I'm sure I will always consider $2000 to be a lot of money. I've never spent that much at one time except when buying a car or a house. I'm sure I'll never not be upset if I get robbed of $2000 or drop it out of my wallet. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, and that's fine, more power to you.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all the advice, but honestly am a bit suprised / confused that several people think it means I am playing too high just because $2000 is a lot of money to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob - this is gambling 101 stuff which it seems you have not grasped yet. You are playing outside of your bankroll requirements, you wont find many people here that think this is wise - hence the comments your getting so far. I think your getting good advice, you should step down in limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read lots about bankroll requirements. Malmuth's Gambling Theory and Poker Essays on it, etc. I have also always read online (here and other places) that these are meant for professional poker players, who won't be able to earn a living if they lose their bankroll. I'm not a professional, and not trying to live off poker income at all. It would not upset me to lose a $500 buyin at a 10/20 game, and it wouldn't really bother me that much to lose most of my current $3000 working bankroll at the tables, I would just step down then. It would just bother me to lose the money or get robbed because that is something outside of the randomness of gambling.

Also, no matter what limits I play or how rich I somehow get, I'm sure I will always consider $2000 to be a lot of money. I've never spent that much at one time except when buying a car or a house. I'm sure I'll never not be upset if I get robbed of $2000 or drop it out of my wallet. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, and that's fine, more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob - If you choose to live outside of your bankroll thats your choice, nobody will give you hell for that. For a long time i lived outside of my bankroll - but thats before i was set straight 3 years ago. But you have to understand that because of your decision most of us are not going to understand your fear, your on your own here in uncharted waters.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wonder as well how high stake players do that i mean i heard storys about chip reese having a bad with one million left on the roof of his car etc. But do they really carry around cash in bags i mean wtf thats scary to have 1mill with you..

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how the amount he had on top of his car increases with every telling of the story.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Hey Rob, normally I skip these posts because they are all the same, but the stuff you say about being paranoid about losing stuff struck a nerve with me.

I'm pretty OCD and I always get strange thoughts that I've forgotten something, lost something, etc, and I need to check on that item to calm myself no matter how ridiculous the thought. For instance, I unlock my car with my car keys, then run back into my house because I forgot something - I will just about always be paranoid I've locked my keys in the car and need to check my pocket repeatedly to make sure the keys are there despite the fact that I UNLOCKED THE CAR and have never ever locked my keys in my car. I just live with this stuff.

Anyway I have carried lots of money since I moved up in limits and it doesn't really bother me anymore. I always put it in the same pocket and probably check that pocket once every few minutes no matter what I'm doing. You really will have to get used to it and I think for me it was just repeated experience. Also going to Vegas and realizing I was small time compared to many helped. Hope it works out for you, maybe we both should get OCD therapy.

-DeathDonkey