Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Table Selection at small stakes

This is my first post i have created and i know it isnt about a hand but im hoping i can get some advice on table selection. I used to just look at pot size and select the loosest table with big pots, obv awful to do. now i look at % seeing the flop and other stats. how do you select your tables at these small limits and why?

if this topic has allready been discussed which im sure it has are there any great links to table selection advice?

thanks for all replies in advance.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Table Selection at small stakes

2NL - any table
5NL - any table

this is as far as I've gotten hope it helps!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:03 PM

lol sounds pretty good, at around 25NL and 50NL though im sure there are better players though, and in threads in middle stakes and such are always talking about how impotant table selection is, i find myself just looking to see where the most money is and sit.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Me?......... When I play $10NL I look for a table with players sitting with around $10 or a little more, I avoid the scht staks unless its one and I also avoid a table with say a player with $30+ ...just me.

I also play NL capped games (yea, Its an oxymoron) but their very loose aggy and I am effectively playing NL $15 (0.25/0.50) if anyone wants to laugh at me playing capped games here is a recent typical HH...

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players (LegoPoker HH Converter)
Capped Game

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $42.05</font>
BB: $24.30
UTG: $21.40
MP: $36.45
CO: $54.80
BTN: $41.90

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="red">BTN raises to $3.25</font>, 3 folds, MP calls $2.75, CO folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($8.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $4.50</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $11.75</font> and is capped, MP calls $7.25 and is capped

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($31.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($31.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)

Pot Size: $31.75 ($1.55 Rake)

BTN had 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Sixes and Fours) and WON (+$15.20)
MP had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Sixes) and LOST (-$15.00)
Old 05-26-2007, 03:14 PM

The opponents you'd most like to see at small stakes are loose-passive call-stations that will lose a lot against your strong hands. So what you want is a table full of opponents with close to a full buy-in and a high percentage seeing the flop.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 PM

I typically pick high VPIP tables, but at 25NL, it doesn't matter

Crovax
Old 05-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Pretty similiar criteria to tubk, I look for a high % of players seeing a flop and half decent pot size I dont want any huge stack but want majority of players to be around the $10 mark. I play 10NL on Pokerstars
Old 05-26-2007, 03:40 PM

thanks for these replies its just made me more confident that im not just looking for the most money for me to have lol. i need to stop trying to attack better players though, i need to do more fishing.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
 is offline

I look for tables with high avg. players on flop %. I prefer tables with medium stack sizes. Says alot about oponents if you buy in for 100$ and a couple of players sit with 50 or 70$, they are usualy not very good players. I like to be the big stack at the table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I also avoid a table full of shortstacks, but 1 or 2 to my left are welcome.