Wimp 37 36.27%
Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Official NBA Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

First time caller, long time listener!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

6. Denver (finished the season 16-6 in their last 22)

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget they swept the season series!!

!!

I'm going to take a CRAZY guess and without even looking it up say that the Nuggets went 16-7 in their last 23 games.

Seriously, you're flailing around for a point and whiffing badly. The difference between playing the Spurs and Blazers is quantitative, not qualitative(you win more often playing the Blazers, but if you can derive the quality of the Spurs and Blazers from other data each game provides the same amount of information). That's assuming that you still aren't alleging Lebron has a skillset uniquely suited to beating bad teams.

Regardless, the Cavaliers played Western conference teams 28 times during the regular season, it seems pretty silly to say that they had their eyes opened to the West by a team they had already played twice simply because they got swept in the finals. It's certainly not a basis for concluding that Kobe has to try harder than LBJ because the West is so good, the Cavs did better against the West than they did against the East in the regular season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denver looked much much better against the spurs than the Cavs. As a spurs fan I was very worried for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't against Denver.

That said, I would have put any of last year's WC playoff teams as favorites over Cleveland in a 7-game series. GS being the only close one. I don't even remember the finals that well, but I distinctly remember never thinking for a minute that the Spurs were going to lose any of the games.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trying to draw conclusions by chopping the 82 game season into 30 games vs the WC, and then 2 or 4 games v an individual team is a joke in and of itself. I don't know why anyone is doing it.

Your second sentence is incorrect. There is no skill set needed... other than being really good.

The Spurs don't cruise for most of the regular season, they were the best team in the regular season last year...

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd half, yes. 1st half, not remotely. Overall, no, both Dallas and Phoenix had better regular seasons.

If you want the definition of cruising the regular season, check out the "minutes" column in Spurs' boxscores this year....
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Vyse is right on this one.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vyse is right on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

PF-PA.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
trying to draw conclusions by chopping the 82 game season into 30 games vs the WC, and then 2 or 4 games v an individual team is a joke in and of itself. I don't know why anyone is doing it.

Your second sentence is incorrect. There is no skill set needed... other than being really good.

The Spurs don't cruise for most of the regular season, they were the best team in the regular season last year...

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd half, yes. 1st half, not remotely. Overall, no, both Dallas and Phoenix had better regular seasons.

If you want the definition of cruising the regular season, check out the "minutes" column in Spurs' boxscores this year....

[/ QUOTE ]

They're "cruising" because they're 6-1, wtf are you talking about? Just because they can afford to limit the minutes of their best players and STILL be the best team in the NBA doesn't mean they're "cruising" in the NBA. I guess by definition every really good team that knows it's going to be a top four seed is cruising, because naturally their players are never going to go all out on 82 games a year when they know they'll be in the playoffs.

They were the best team in the NBA regular season last year. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM

yeah.. I mean, obviously Dallas was the "best" by some metric, given their record. but the Spurs had the best expected w-l. They led the league in point differential, which is a pretty telling stat. Pop "rests" his starters because he's smart and because his team is good enough to crush the competition only getting 95 mins per game from Duncan/Manu/Parker. And they won it all. Crazy how that happens.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah.. I mean, obviously Dallas was the "best" by some metric, given their metric. but the Spurs had the best expected w-l. They led the league in point differential, which is a pretty telling stat. Pop "rests" his starters because he's smart and because his team is good enough to crush the competition only getting 95 mins per game from Duncan/Manu/Parker. And they won it all. Crazy how that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh. The Spurs tanked the first half of the season, but dominated the second half. Since the regular season means a lot less in the NBA (for top-level teams) than MLB, for ex, I don't really care how you define "best regular season." Personally, I couldn't stand watching the Spurs for the first half of the year, whereas I enjoyed the Suns and Mavs the entire way, and the Spurs' 2nd half run wasn't enough to make up for that. The playoffs on the other hand....
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM

You defined it as "better." Better is a pretty inarguable term. "More entertaining" and "fun" is not = to better.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Kobe isn't the best player in the nba...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM

28-13 through 41 is tanking it?