Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Middle Set

"Re: Middle Set"

I don't think I've ever flopped it. Discuss.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM

fold
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 AM

Questions:

(1) Please confirm flop is rainbow.
(2) How long did it take for villain to make his decision to push?

The fact he's an unknown, and you've raised on a ?drawless? (can you please confirm it's a rainbow??) flop should mean you can call this because his 3-bet all-in range can be pretty big. Standard villains won't immediately put you on a monster with this flop action on this board (more likely an isolation play). Why can't he have AA, KK or AQ (pushing you off a chop) here? Also, is it beyond the realm of possibility UTG has bottom set? Is it beyond imagination that UTG is making a funky raise that can give him two pair? Granted this is unlikely, but still.

In other words, I'd need a sick, sick "villain only puts his stack in with the nuts" read to fold this. And it would probably take several long sessions to figure this out.

If the above doesn't provide enough reason to call...

[ QUOTE ]
over played a big pair once,

[/ QUOTE ]

This should put your call decision over the top.

Garland
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM

you seem to be the only one who would fold middle set here. are you that certain he has top set with the money this shallow that you fold?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Results

if utg had bet out and short stack raised, there is no way i think about folding middle set. at some point all the money is going in.

however, the check raise after a bet and reraise made me think. as i wrote earlier, to move all in after a bet and raise when 6 players saw the flop lead me to think " "top set". worstplayer's post had some of the same thinking i went through. "maybe he thinks i was just trying to isolate the short stack".

however, my instincts said fold. most of the posts thought is was an easy call. so maybe i thought too much. middle set is not one to fold (especially on this board). bottom set can be folded occasionally. and i still feel if we have 100BB plus behind us it may be a fold.

despite my instincts that the check raise all in screamed top set i could not fold middle set. i hope to see AA, possibly KK. he had QQ, top set. i want to thank all of you for your responses. i was angry that i didn't go with my gut. however, despite the result, i think i made the correct call, given the way it was played, and given the stack size. also, that many of you thought that this was an easy call also helped me feel like i chose correctly, thanks again.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]

however, the check raise after a bet and reraise made me think. as i wrote earlier, to move all in after a bet and raise when 6 players saw the flop lead me to think " "top set".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, using this logic, lets say raiser is a very tight player, and will always make this play with any set (top, middle, bottom).

I think bottom set is as likely as top set here, so going on that alone it is a call based on the money in the pot. Additionally, if you factor in that he also makes this play with AA/KK 20% of the time, it is an easy call, IMHO.

With bottom set, maybe I stop and give it some thought, but I am probably calling there too with a short stack.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM

em2, do you really fold this?
Also if you are semi stuck??
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM

i doubt this player raises utg without big cards or a big pair.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

however, the check raise after a bet and reraise made me think. as i wrote earlier, to move all in after a bet and raise when 6 players saw the flop lead me to think " "top set".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, using this logic, lets say raiser is a very tight player, and will always make this play with any set (top, middle, bottom).

I think bottom set is as likely as top set here, so going on that alone it is a call based on the money in the pot. Additionally, if you factor in that he also makes this play with AA/KK 20% of the time, it is an easy call, IMHO.

With bottom set, maybe I stop and give it some thought, but I am probably calling there too with a short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
dammit for a secodn I thought this was Tuff Fish
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
dammit for a secodn I thought this was Tuff Fish

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay. My mother wanted a girl when I was born. It's not the first time my presence has caused dissapointment.