Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Mason, Why Publish Both Simultaneously?

mason,

i don't know the publishing business, so feel free telling me that the answer is none of my business, or just don't respond.

why release both nlht&p and hoh vol 3 at the same time?

my question is based on the follow thoughts, which may not be correct since i don't know your business.

even with the explosion in poker, i believe that poker books are still a somewhat specialized market. a few books like hoh vol 1 break that mold, but i believe that to be the exceptional "hit book". i suspect that books was helped by the lack of nl books, the explosion in nl playing and watching on it on tv, dan's name, and the high quality of the book, however, it was an exception.

beyond the 2+2 ers, are most buyers of poker books going to purchase 2 nl books around the same time? i would think most would only purchase one.

i understand both books were delayed. did you discuss with either team the idea of hold off the release for a few months?

i believe that hoh vol 1 was the best selling poker book ever (i am using the first 3 to 6 months in release, not lifetime sales). even if each "sequels" has a drop off, i would still expect vol 3 to be very successful, and therefore out sell nlht&p, regardless of the quality of either book - sequels sell. assuming i am correct, i was wondering if holding nlht&p for several months might have helped it's sales? of course i have no idea what nl books other publishers are releasing and when, and this could have affected your decisions.

these questions are not really about poker, but i more about the publishing business, and i was interested it how it worked.

thank you.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Mason, Why Publish Both Simultaneously?

Because if word got out that 2+2 was holding back a finished new book for silly reasons like publishing sense, marauding poker fiends would descend on their offices?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM

During the WSOP and just afterwards is height of popularity for poker and NL hold'em so it makes good business sense to get both books out in time for the WSOP. If the books were $200+ each then it might pay to spread it out to maximize absorbtion of poker book dollars available. Since you can buy them for @$20 a serious poker player will plop down $40 bucks without blinking.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 AM

So that we can save on shipping! Duh.

Greg
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM

While the concerns you raise are legitimate ones, we still believe that both books will sell more copies over the lifetime of the books being released as early as possible. It wasn't intentional that the books be released coincidentally... it just happened that way. They were both released as soon as they were ready.

Right now, the Amazon.com sales ranks of the books are:

HOH3: 43
NLT&P: 62

So they're both selling briskly for the moment.

EDIT: Also, other books are in the pipeline... so if we delayed release of one book, that might cause it to be released too closely to another book (or cause that book to be delayed also). As a result, Mason doesn't delay any books artificially.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Also, other books are in the pipeline... so if we delayed release of one book, that might cause it to be released too closely to another book (or cause that book to be delayed also). As a result, Mason doesn't delay any books artificially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ahead and raise the flop, that's what the DVD's say. Don't wait for the turn to raise, they might not bet!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 AM

Hi Amulet:

The main reason we released both of these books at exactly the same time is that they both became available at the same time. We also get some economy of scale by "ganging" up books with the printer.

At Two Plus Two, we have the ability to produce books that are not only very good, but in which our readers are very interested. So if we have a book ready to go, we're not going to hold it up.

[ QUOTE ]
of course i have no idea what nl books other publishers are releasing and when, and this could have affected your decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of our decisions are based on what another publisher may or may not do. We just try to put together the best books, and then get them produced.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 AM

Hi Precision:

While what you are saying may be accurate, it has no impact as to exactly when we release books.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Mason,
First of all, thank you for making this forum possible.
When can we expect to see your unbiased review of "No Limit Hold 'Em Theory and Practice" by David Sklansky and Ed Miller? I must say that my initial impressions were not that favorable, but the second half of the book is very good. What are your thoughts, Mr. Malmuth?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't intentional that the books be released coincidentally... it just happened that way

[/ QUOTE ]

My brain hurts.