Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Spade004 retired: 5/10

Have mainly played 5/10 6max during Feb.
Any input/thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Spade004 retired: 5/10

6 hands, 0/0/0. Another 2+2 nit in my database [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Your numbers look fine over 500+ hands.

One hand that I saw:

You open in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], SB (stats seem like he's stupid and bad over a small sample) 3-bets, BB folds, you call.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets, you raise, he 3-bets, you cap.

I think capping there is worse than calling.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:54 PM

Can you tell me why calling is better than capping? Is it clearly wrong? or just kind of wrong? I assume the hero's raise is to attempt to get a free turn.

If you call you are still going to have to call a turn bet. You only save .5 BB. I tend to cap in this situation. Maybe he will second guess and go into call down mode and check the turn, maybe he will try to check raise you on the turn, and same diff.. Both are less likely if you dont cap.

If the Spade hits, it's more likely to get him to pay of a raise or a late bet since you have represented a made hand already.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 PM

I think capping is bad because he's going to showdown something like always, you are behind something like always, and if he keeps leading you can raise when you hit.

Don't worry about getting paid off if spades hit, you're going to get paid off anyways. Capping for a turn check-behind is a move that should be made very sparingly.

EDIT: another name I don't recognize, even with 15k hands there this month alone. Let's all celebrate our table-selection!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Agreed. I cap this very rarely(read never), that too against that LP dude. I don't remember exactly why it happened, may be some previous hand or something.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM

Spade,

what are your vpip/pfr numbers? I've got 28 hands on you at 43/7. If I was one of those monkeys always posting, "UTG is a LP fish 42/7 OMG!" I'd probably be pretty far off, right?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me why calling is better than capping? Is it clearly wrong? or just kind of wrong? I assume the hero's raise is to attempt to get a free turn.

If you call you are still going to have to call a turn bet. You only save .5 BB. I tend to cap in this situation. Maybe he will second guess and go into call down mode and check the turn, maybe he will try to check raise you on the turn, and same diff.. Both are less likely if you dont cap.

If the Spade hits, it's more likely to get him to pay of a raise or a late bet since you have represented a made hand already.

[/ QUOTE ]
RunDownHouse explained it fairly well. Basically, even if you assume you always get the free card (which is a pretty big assumption against some players, especially considering this guy 3-bet preflop and just 3-bet the flop), I'm fairly sure the EV of calling the 3-bet is better than capping.

MHSS post

Take a look at that thread (and the linked post in particular). You can do some EV calculations to determine what's best here.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 PM

26/18 over last 25k hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]