Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Turn the second nut flush, thoughts all around

No reads on villian is it's like the 7th hand I've played at this table.

As the post title says. Thoughts all around on how I played this hand appreciated.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1230
UTG+1: t3255
MP1: t3405
MP2: t2910
Hero: t2910
CO: t2955
Button: t4585
SB: t2965
BB: t2785

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t140</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t400</font>, 4 folds, MP1 calls t260 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t600)</font>.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t860, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t500</font>, MP1 calls t500 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1360)</font>.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1860, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises all-in t2505</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Turn the second nut flush, thoughts all around

I think the reraise preflop with AQo against an unknown is questionable but at the same time it puts you into position by knocking out LP players. When he calls the bet on the flop I figure "OK, he's got the A of spades"...and then it pops up on the turn. If he would have bet out, I would have been more certain of a bluff, this is a pretty nice play if he doesn't have a high flush. However, with the second nuts you might just have to eat it and call, he could do this with a lower spade, like slowplaying the flop with JTs (I know you wouldn't do it but some poeple do). I don't think your flop bet matters much because a decent flush draw is calling here no matter what but a worse hand is folding. Sorry I lost my train of thought I am getting distracted by the poor play of my football team.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Anyone else?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 PM

hero calls, folding here is really nitty with the second nuts and 2/3 of your stack already invested... if you're behind, tip your hat to your opponent, but you can't fold here
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm more concerned with the rest of the line. Calling with teh second nuts here on the turn I think is standard.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:37 PM

well other than the reraise preflop it's all pretty standard... you don't HAVE to bet this flop as a free card doesn't scare you, but betting isn't a mistake, and can give you info. When he calls the flop bet you have to figure he's got a spade, and when he checks on the turn it's pretty obvious he's trying to trap.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Without reads, I think the reraise is pretty bad w/AQo, you may buy the button at a tight table, but other than that I think it's a bad play. At this stage of the tournament, I'm not sure if calling an EP or earlyMP raise w/AQo is EV+, unless you have a read that you can outplay the raiser on the flop (when you both miss.) On the flop the c-bet is ok w/ the As, but with your hand, I like a check better. As played, call the push and expect to lose 80+% of the time.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:33 PM

A call here is standard as played. You have 2/3 of your chips in and have the 2nd nuts, easy call. I don't mind the preflop reraise at all as you have position, but I prefer a call. I may have raised a little less on the flop c-bet, but thats me and I'm probably wrong.

I disagree however with the above poster about losing 80% of the time. Hero is behind exactly 1 hand. I think, much more often than not, Hero wins.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM

I think preflop you committed to going to the felt with this hand by raising to 400 becaus the pot has almost a thousand and you have 2500 behind and if you cbet a reasonable amount on that flop your giving odds to stack you with his flush and if you miss completely you've put out almost half your stack anyways with a cbet so you kind of have to push or call any turn.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 PM

C-C flop C-R turn is always a monster. Although it could have been a flopped monster that lost value on the turn.

I can't get away from this most of the time.