Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Limit material.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The 5 to a flop days are over, unless you are playing 4=8 live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or $80/160 live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen such a game. Where is this?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 AM

beeing a pro at 1-2$ is def possible (however I dont think it's cool if you have wife, kids, mortage payments...)

to win at stars low limit you dint have to read (and understand) mathematics of poker. It is def a very good book but ne need to have a somehow deeper understanding of different poker games (not just hold'em)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand why there is so much sarcasm against OP. It reminds me what I heard from 2+2 1 year ago when I was claiming that I am going "pro" after just 1 month of playing. I am trying to make a serious suggestion here since I have been there.

At first, OP, you must read "every" good book out there. Re-read them every once in a while. Right now there are only 2 books about Shorthanded fix limit games, so just read them a few times. Your theory is correct, 6 tabling $0.5/$1 can make a comfortable living if you don't have a family to support. This career offers a lot of freedom, so you might want to take the advantage of it and grind out harder when you are still young. Make sure to move up to $1/$2 as soon as you have 600BB and move down when it's only 300BB left. It might lead to higher variance but you will definitely learn more on $1/$2 and improve faster even if you have to move up and move down repeatedly for a few times in your career.

For those ppl who thinks 6 tabling $0.5/$1 for $4000 monthly is pathetic, you guys are probably too lucky. As far as I know 90% of population in this world find it nearly impossible to make $4000 after tax before they hit 30 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

a pro playing 0.50/1.00 is pathetic, and retarded.

playing 120,000 hands a month is just not sustainable. You might last 3, 4, 5 months, but 2 years down the road, do you really want to play 5,000 hands a day, 25 out of 30 days every month, of every year? The answer is you will kill yourself, or want to.

Play 5000 hands of 6max, playing 6tables at a time. so that is about 500 hands an hour, that's 9 hours a day, 25 days a month.

Good luck with that.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to pay tax on poker winnings if you are in the US. I'm finding it implausible that someone is making $4000/mo on .5/1 without moving up. Working an office job is probably better than playing 120,000 hands a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can the tax department find out how much you are making through poker? In that case, ppl who loses money on poker but make income from his regular job are able to file a tax deduction too?

It isn't an issue for most other countries at least. So yeah, if they have a way to find out how much tax you have to pay exactly, then the situation in US is very different since $4000/monthly means like $6000 actual profit/monthly?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense dude, but was/is a horrible idea. I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would talk anybody but my worst enemy and poker prodigies out of doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comment is very reasonable. Talking about the % of ppl who works it out in the end, I now realize it's less than 5%. Glad that I am talented enough to beat mid stake games at least. I have learned way more lessons than I ever expected to exist in this career. Every beginner thinks this career is easier to achieve than it actually is, and I was, no exception, one of them
Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a pro playing 0.50/1.00 is pathetic, and retarded.

playing 120,000 hands a month is just not sustainable. You might last 3, 4, 5 months, but 2 years down the road, do you really want to play 5,000 hands a day, 25 out of 30 days every month, of every year? The answer is you will kill yourself, or want to.

Play 5000 hands of 6max, playing 6tables at a time. so that is about 500 hands an hour, that's 9 hours a day, 25 days a month.

Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you said. The question is, will he keep staying @ $0.5/$1? If anyone spends 6 months and realize that he can't win at $1/$2 level, I would suggest him to give up too. The thing is, if you don't have to pay tax for your winnings, a full time $1/$2 pro is already in a leading group (Income wise) among the world population under the age of 30.

I ain't sure if OP has considered all these or he just has a quick beginner's plan and think "[censored] this is easy money" before a long term goal. I would say that being a pro as low stake as $3/$6 can be pretty profitable while enjoying a lot of freedom/leisure time in his life.

Like I said, most players in this community are lucky people. I for one don't really think it's reasonable to expect a 5 figures income per month by clicking mouse 3 hours a day/20 days a month when you are in your mid 20s. Therefore I don't think the OP's plan is pathetic at all if he has planned to move up at some point. Considering playing 6 hours of $3/$6 a day running @ 1BB/100, 22 days a month by 6 tabling will give you something close to $6000 including FPP value. Don't forget that you can manage your own time and arrange holiday etc. I can't really find many jobs that are able to compete really...
Old 10-07-2007, 03:55 PM

is this thread worth reading?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's just a couple of wanna be poser "pros" talking about playing 1,500,000 hands a year at .50/1.00 to make $50,000 a year before taxes.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's just a couple of wanna be poser "pros" talking about playing 1,500,000 hands a year at .50/1.00 to make $50,000 a year before taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really poser since they are doing something for a profession and are probably putting in the same amount of time that they would working at any other job. I'm not saying it's going to be fun playing 5-10 tables of 0.5/1 every day for 9 hours, but it could be done. However, if you could sustain 1.5-2BB/100 at that level, under those conditions, you could probably just move up to 2/4 at least and work half as much for the same money.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really poser since they are doing something for a profession and are probably putting in the same amount of time that they would working at any other job. I'm not saying it's going to be fun playing 5-10 tables of 0.5/1 every day for 9 hours, but it could be done. However, if you could sustain 1.5-2BB/100 at that level, under those conditions, you could probably just move up to 2/4 at least and work half as much for the same money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could also make 40K a year if I stood at an intersection with a cup every day for 10 hours. Would that be a professional?

Its all about what you are willing to do. For me, if someone says they are a professional, that means that they work a certain amount and get paid.

Also, if you are a professional you are actually decent at what you do. If you are good enough to "go pro", you shouldn't be wasting your time at baby stakes.

I will say it one more time, anyone playing below 3-6 is not a pro. They are just grinding out some cash.

Seriously though, 1.4 million hands a year at less than 1/2?

At some point, you would think they would get decent enough to go for broke and play 2=4