Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AK in position, line check please...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, why did you post the hand? It's perfect. You can't cbet into a J9x board against this many opponents and it was impossible for you to screw up the big streets. NH

[/ QUOTE ]

The subject does say "Line Check", and I think it's just that. NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

nitpickaments
Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, why did you post the hand? It's perfect. You can't cbet into a J9x board against this many opponents and it was impossible for you to screw up the big streets. NH

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I posted a simple straight forward hand the other night also, however I was mega wrong.

Sometimes I like to post the hands I feel were super standard not just the ones I messed up.

**Please dont read this post in a p*ssed off tone, its not intended that way, but I cant make it sound civil LOL**
Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I posted a simple straight forward hand the other night also, however I was mega wrong.

Sometimes I like to post the hands I feel were super standard not just the ones I messed up.

**Please dont read this post in a p*ssed off tone, its not intended that way, but I cant make it sound civil LOL**

[/ QUOTE ]

You "sound" fine. Linky to other thread?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Linky to other thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post12990641
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi Bubblemint.

Consider your play checked. It seems super-standard to me. From a game theory POV, betting AK into 4 players is pretty doubtful, unless you're choosing like 1 combo of it for some bluff-balancing. From an "exploit-your-opponents-constantly-checking-to-the-raiser" point of view, the flop check becomes even clearer.

Turn and river play themselves.

-eric
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about betting to narrow the field and take a free turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Narrowing the field to yourself and the best hand really doesn't help your situation. AK unimproved is a terrible "narrow the field" hand, because you will rarely be able to fold the kind of hand that would give you extra outs. Consider that the "extra outs" hand for AK unimproved are hands with pairs... weaker aces that you dominated preflop but that now have you in a bad spot. It would be pretty rare for a player to fold a pair on this board given this pot size.

If they do, it will surely take two bets cold, and if you end up paying 2 small bets to clean up two outs in a pot this size, you're pretty unhappy. The pot is big, but it's not THAT big.

Cleaning up outs is for, say, JT on a 97 high flop. Now you can fold hands like QT, KJ, AT, etc etc etc and make a turned top pair good. Plus, you have good equity anyways against a hand like A9 so you don't mind pay 2 bets to clean up your outs.

Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Eric
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 AM

Thanks Eric
Old 11-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Looked right to me.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about betting to narrow the field and take a free turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Narrowing the field here will be almost impossible. In a pot this big, everyone is going to peel and, at least against your hand, is right to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is it not impossible, it's extremely likely. No, not everyone is going to peel. Betting to narrow the field (say from 4 opponents to 2 or 3), and to also get a free card, has merit.

However, some of the folders might hold weaker aces or kings, so we don't want them to fold. Usually you use this sort of reasoning to get better aces to fold, to "clean up your ace outs". We have no outs to clean here - we like our outs just like they are (with the exception of A7 and A9 hands, but we probably can't fold those anyway.