Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Well now. Now that one of our excess outfielders has been traded for pitching (exactly what I suggested I might add). It is time for a new plan. We have quite a bit of money coming off the books between Rowand/Lieber/Garcia, I propose using this freed up cash to pursue the phenom from Japan Hiroki Kuroda. Remember, Gillick was the GM who originally signed Ichiro.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM

We should all notice that the GM on the other end of this deal was...................ED WADE. I have a very good feeling about this move.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 AM

Pretty good trade, but I'm more happy about the decision to move Myers back to the rotation.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good trade, but I'm more happy about the decision to move Myers back to the rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree imo.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! I am happy about this trade. However, that weird hex pujols put on lidge's career is disheartening... Decent ERA this year but last year was bad. Theres no doubt myers would be a better closer than him, but I think myers is just too talented to be a closer anyway imo, so we'll see. Top priority at this point is I think to resign rowand and/or lohse. That would be solid.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Here's an interesting article about the phillies farm system. phuturephillies.com does an interview with Keith Law of espn.com on his opinion of the phils system.

http://phuturephillies.com/2007/10/1...ith-keith-law/

This is what he says about costanzo and golson (our first round pick from a few years ago).

[ QUOTE ]
9. Who will have the better career in the majors, Greg Golson or Mike Costanzo? Golson is still young and has shown flashes, but seems to have strikezone issues, while Costanzo has been inconsistent and struggles against lefties. Thoughts on the future for both guys?

I don’t see either as much of a big leaguer; Costanzo probably makes it but doesn’t stick, while Golson in all likelihood doesn’t make it at all. Costanzo’s a classic minor league slugger – big, complex swing, lousy weight transfer, just looking for fastballs and hanging breaking pitches he can crush. He’s pretty rough at third base as well – doesn’t look like he could play there in the majors, although defense is one thing that can really improve through instruction – and you’re looking at Klesko/Giambi defense if you put him in left.

Golson’s got great tools, but has no baseball instincts at all. There’s no physical reason why he shouldn’t be a good player, but he doesn’t do anything well – his swing is very long, his hands are a mess, he can’t adjust to breaking balls at all, and he gets bad reads in the outfield. The things that a ballplayer does on ability, like running and throwing, he does well, and he does have quick wrists, which is something you see in a lot of great hitters (Gary Sheffield being the obvious example). But until at the very least he learns to tell a fastball from an offspeed pitch, he’s not going to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, on espn.com in an article I believe he says that the phils really made out with this trade. Interesting to hear the take from a real baseball guy. Sounds encouraging.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My game plan would be something along the lines of resigning Rowand (or another center fielder as there are a couple). Then use Victorino to trade for pitching help (imo he seems to be a bit overvalued). Using an outfield of Burrell/Bourn/Werth is acceptable but they better make a splash at 3B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think signing Rowand is more likely now, but probably still somewhat unlikely given his price tag.

If Phillies' management holds true to form, they'll let Rowand go and sign some 4 million dollar outfielder instead. Given the tiny outfield, this won't hurt them as much as it would in a real ball park.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM

I'd rather resign Lohse and Romero than throw a bunch of money at Rowand. As much as I love his defense and grit, I think he definitely overperformed last year (possibly because of the contract year) and is no more than a .290 20HR guy (still pretty good obviously).

If we can keep both of those guys, here's what we're looking at:

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Werth
Dobbs
Ruiz

Hamels
Myers
Kendrick
Lohse
Moyer

Madson
Romero
Gordon
Lidge

Then hopefully add either 3B or one more reliever, and we're in great shape.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Get Brian Fuentes, somehow. Resign lohse and this team is money.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 PM

I don't get why everyone is so high on Lohse. He's better than Eaton, but not so much that I'm willing to overpay for him.