Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Main Event-- has the sport jumped the shark??

I was utterly disgusted watching the final two episodes of this year's main event. and I'm not sure what i was more disgusted by: the quality of behavior or the quality of play.

On the former, Hahvid Khan is bad enough, but Jerry Yang's constant prayers were way over the top, and so what if they were answered? But lee Watkinson's wife did the same thing! Listen-- Poker Gods and beseeching them are one thing-- bringing the Big Guy into it goes way beyond the pale.

as to the play, wow. childs laying down Queens seemed bad at the time when we didn't know what Yang had-- watching that table made it even worse.

And counting Scotty's implosion just before the final table, i counted three different players who went all-in for their tournament lives on draws. with millions of chips. Unreal.

Watkinson's play wasn't the worst thing i ever saw-- he had to assume Yang had something worse than A7 given the situation-- but again, when you see Yang dominating with all those chips, why even try with at best a 60-40 advantage when you know he will call??

The whole thing was virtually unwatchable-- lacked the class of hachem and danneman; the intrigue of farha vs. Moneymaker; the genuine spirit of David Williams and greg raymer (and doesn't Arieh's trashing of raymer seem mild compared to what we see now??) i guess jamie Gold was the turning point, but I sure don't like what I see. and oh yeah-- all the full Tilt/Poker Stars dressed in black was pretty depressing too.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Main Event-- has the sport jumped the shark??

no
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for starting another worthless thread.

p.s. You know nothing about poker.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 AM

Oh-- and you know everything? LOL

I'm just telling you what i thought-- the play was lousy, the personalities worse. And if you don't think that could impact things, well tell me what the world would have been like had Moneymaker been knocked out and harrington (a great player and person, by the way) had beaten Farha?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lacked the class of hachem and danneman

[/ QUOTE ]

I chuckled.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 PM

chark is hongry...
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Watkinson's play wasn't the worst thing i ever saw-- he had to assume Yang had something worse than A7 given the situation--

Huh?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I think he shoves there because he wants a better but not powerful hand (22-TT or AJ - A8) to fold.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 PM

i counted three different players who went all-in for their tournament lives on draws. with millions of chips. Unreal.

ZOMG!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i counted three different players who went all-in for their tournament lives on draws. with millions of chips. Unreal.

ZOMG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Norman Chad really deserves a lot of credit for giving us one of the best ways to identify a bad poker player. Albeit, not quite in the way he intended to.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ZOMG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Norman Chad really deserves a lot of credit for giving us one of the best ways to identify a bad poker player. Albeit, not quite in the way he intended to.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends. Often it's correct to go all-in on a draw for thousands of chips, but for millions of chips? Come on.