Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
So let's get back to the discussion of GW. Why does it matter if its real or not? Will the solution come through talking about the problem and lightbulbs? Or are the problems of the possibility of GW already being addressed by private industry (and government funding of research)? What should the government do differently if GW is indeed happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question. Basically, do what Al Gore is doing but more of it.

No one thinks this can be addressed by just light bulbs. Instead, you should think of the light bulbs as a symbol of the need to adopt new technologies at a faster rate than we otherwise would.

The discussion is needed because no one is going to act if they don't know that they should.

And government is needed because as long as the benefits of pollution are private and the costs of pollution are collective, individual people and companies will continue to pollute at a rate above the economic ideal. The only bodies that could correct this are governmental.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So let's get back to the discussion of GW. Why does it matter if its real or not? Will the solution come through talking about the problem and lightbulbs? Or are the problems of the possibility of GW already being addressed by private industry (and government funding of research)? What should the government do differently if GW is indeed happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question. Basically, do what Al Gore is doing but more of it.

No one thinks this can be addressed by just light bulbs. Instead, you should think of the light bulbs as a symbol of the need to adopt new technologies at a faster rate than we otherwise would.

The discussion is needed because no one is going to act if they don't know that they should.

And government is needed because as long as the benefits of pollution are private and the costs of pollution are collective, individual people and companies will continue to pollute at a rate above the economic ideal. The only bodies that could correct this are governmental.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well how fast is the current rate and what type of funding needs increased? Also, are lightbulbs really a symbol for whats needed or more of a sign of whats to come? These lightbulbs (actually patented in 1973 by GE) had nothing to do with government funding. The symbol with these lightbulbs is that industry is innovative.

There is clearly alot of money available for alternative energy solutions and improved technologies, which will be needed soon as oil supplies start to drop over the next 10-30 years. So I think the economic incentive is already there for private industry and I have a hard time understanding why the government even needs to step in. Further, isn't the easiest way to let people know to conserve by raising prices of fuel and allowing economics to solve the problem? I think increased fuel standards will be demanded by the public and industry responds by adapting to those demands.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I think the economic incentive is already there for private industry and I have a hard time understanding why the government even needs to step in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you answer your own question ...

[ QUOTE ]
Further, isn't the easiest way to let people know to conserve by raising prices of fuel and allowing economics to solve the problem? I think increased fuel standards will be demanded by the public and industry responds by adapting to those demands.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why government has to step in is to set and enforce things like higher fuel prices (to account for the environmental damage they cause). No private initiative could possibly do this.