Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 12-01-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Newb question re halftime middles

Hope I don't get flamed but I couldn't find anything about this on the search...

I was wondering how to determine whether to middle with a 2nd half line on a bet that looks to be on track to winning easily.

An example: tonight I had the Celtics -2.5 against the Heat and the Celtics were up by 20 at halftime. I wasn't by my computer, but for the sake of this example let's assume Miami was -3.5 in the 2nd half. I can bet Miami in the 2nd half to set up a 14 point middle. Considering that Boston seems to have the 2.5 game spread under control, should I always make the Miami 2nd half bet, never, or is there some other methodology that I should use to determine if this is a good bet?

I apologize ahead of time if this is a retarded question. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Newb question re halftime middles

[ QUOTE ]
Hope I don't get flamed but I couldn't find anything about this on the search...

I was wondering how to determine whether to middle with a 2nd half line on a bet that looks to be on track to winning easily.

An example: tonight I had the Celtics -2.5 against the Heat and the Celtics were up by 20 at halftime. I wasn't by my computer, but for the sake of this example let's assume Miami was -3.5 in the 2nd half. I can bet Miami in the 2nd half to set up a 14 point middle. Considering that Boston seems to have the 2.5 game spread under control, should I always make the Miami 2nd half bet, never, or is there some other methodology that I should use to determine if this is a good bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the attitude. Be afraid; be very afraid. Once you post here, there's no turning back. Wages of Fear. Sorcerer.

Pre-apologize only twice, and you expect people to answer your question??? That's funny.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the attitude. Be afraid; be very afraid. Once you post here, there's no turning back. Wages of Fear. Sorcerer.

Pre-apologize only twice, and you expect people to answer your question??? That's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been extremely helpful. Now go back to banging your cat you [censored] douche. Just asking a question. Thanks to everybody with useful replies.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 AM

The books are, of course, aware of this, and so the line on the hedgeable side will often be inflated. In your example, (I'm making this up) the correct 2d half line might be Miami -3 but the books will hang 3.5 because of all the people wanting to lock up the big middle.

The answer imo is obvious: only bet the other side at halftime if that bet is +EV. Otherwise, you're just letting the book buy back a fraction of your profit in juice so you can feel better during the 2d half.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact you already have money on the game is almost irrelevant, it's either a good bet or it isn't in it's own right.

One thing that you might not want to do is bet a Halftime that looks to be +EV as big when you already have the same side of the line for the game because you can find yourself overbetting your bankroll.
There is no reason to specifically bet either side though, you just have to use whatever methods you would normally use to determine if it's a +EV bet or not.

Lori