Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Default White guy attempting to date Korean woman. Help, plz, k thx.

Okay, so at first I was 100% sure I wasn't going to post this. Now I figure what the hell.

So the other day I met a Korean girl at a club. She is fresh from Hong Kong about 8 months ago. She is here to learn english and to go to school. She is by herself with no family. She rents a room from some random family. She didn't really go into to much detail. She speaks broken english but it really isn't a problem. I really like this girl and really want to impress her. I thought about learning some Korean, but then she said she grew up in Hong Kong. My good friend wikipedia says they only speak teh cantonese in Hong Kong. As much as I want to impress her, I'm a little concerned about the chances of me whitey, learning the correct pronouciation of the words. I don't want to insult her/say wrong thing due to my tone/ or just look stupid. Granted, with enough work, I'm willing to take this chance.

I more or less am in there as far as a first date. But I really want to impress her, not go through any real screws up as far as her culture goes. I have scoured the interwebs, and I feel as though asking 2+2 will have to help since I more or less have zero asian friends as of this moment and no one to offer advice. I even PMed Toss, cause he at one point was my only hope. I was later convinced I should just go ahead and post about it.

On another note, while I do have a fetish for Asian women, this girl is without a doubt the single sexiest woman I have ever seen. Sorry no pics as of this moment. Which makes this matter even more pressing.

So people of OOT, if you have dated a Korean woman before, or are Korean, or are familiar with their culture, please give me any helpful hints or advice.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: White guy attempting to date Korean woman. Help, plz, k thx.

I would say not to worry about screwing up the pronunciations of words. People LOVE when you make an effort to speak their language. Even if you say something [censored] up, they know that you didn't mean to, and it'll just be funny. They'll laugh, point out your mistake, and help you learn the right way. So don't sweat that.

However you may want to avoid certain actions and stuff, though I'm not familiar with Korean culture so I couldn't tell you. But I can tell you not to worry about learning some words, because she'll love that.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Place your palms together and make a gun with your index fingers. Walk up behind her and jam the barrel of said gun into her anus.

Then eat kimchee.

The twin pillars of Korean culture.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Place your palms together and make a gun with your index fingers. Walk up behind her and jam the barrel of said gun into her anus.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahahaha...we used to do that when I lived in Japan ([img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]). Called it kancho
Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ahahaha...we used to do that when I lived in Japan ([img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]). Called it kancho

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I'm hijacking my own thread, please clarify, I have no idea what the hell your talking about.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Take her out to eat some dog. Alternatively, rub your stomach, lick your lips and wink at her when you see a dog, so she'll know you're culturally sensitive.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Even though I'm hijacking my own thread, please clarify, I have no idea what the hell your talking about.

You don't need clarification, you need to place your palms together and make a gun with your index fingers, walk up behind her and jam the barrel of said gun into her anus.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancho

That honestly, is the strangest thing I've ever read.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 PM

hi.

first to address the two jokes above:
i wasn't aware kancho was performed by koreans.
if you ever spend 3 days in korea, you've eaten dog... even if you don't know it.

just learn like 3-4 lines of korean.
yes they speak cantonese in hong kong, but they also speak english and normal chinese... so i assume she'll be flattered either way (cantonese or korean, but korean is like 100% she can speak, cantonese like 95%). above poster is right, messing it up is ok, especially since her helping you learn the correct pronunciation is very typical conversation for two people who don't speak each other's language too well while courting (trust me i live in asia, used to speak poorly) and she'll lauph, which is never a bad thing.

PM me for any Q's if you are interested

btw pics are required [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I want to impress her, I'm a little concerned about the chances of me whitey, learning the correct pronouciation of the words. I don't want to insult her/say wrong thing due to my tone/ or just look stupid. Granted, with enough work, I'm willing to take this chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you pretty much figured it out yourself. I've been with Asian girls before and they don't always like this stuff, so I disagree with the others on trying to learn a little bit of Cantonese. Not an easy language and there are 9 tones. So yeah you'll probably end up looking/sounding stupid and there's also the chance that she doesn't like or is embarrassed by it and have no clue what you are trying to say.

I'm sure there are other ways to impress her, and since she's really hot why take the chance?