Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2005, 03:16 PM

Default scam at pokerstars

Recently I fell victim to a scam at pokerstars. Boxing day while in a tournament an observer asked if anyone was familiar with western union and would like to make a few dollars. I said I do and was told to add him to my msn. He said he wanted to trade $$ at pokerstars for a w.u. money order so he could play in a tournament later that day at foxwoods. I thought about it, and would make $50-60 for an hour of running around. Seemed legit. He transfered the funds to me at pokerstars, and I then made the money order for him. A few days later I was informed by p.stars that my account would be temporarily deactivated because the matter was under investigation as I victim to a scam. I then received a phone call from pstars security saying the money transfer they performed would most likely be reversed and I would be out $740. I then receive an email from security yesterday saying the accounts in question would be permanently closed. I feel if pokerstars reverses the money transaction their site performed they are giving the power to the scammers and their legitimate users have no protection against such scams. It was I who was contacted by the scammer not I who initiated contact. What recourse do I have? Has this happened to anyone else? Otherwise I love their site, their tournaments are awesome and the revemped FPP rewards are fantastic.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: scam at pokerstars

If the money in the account came from a fraudulent credit card transaction which got reversed, who should eat the $740 loss? Pokerstars, or the guy who thought he could make an easy $50-60 and only wound up encouraging future scamming attempts?

Don't fall for scams.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:53 PM

It always amazes me the stuff people fall for. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 PM

While he was stupid for falling for it, I don't think PS should have taken his money away. It's not his fault. The money should never have been transferred in the first place. What if someone did this with a legitimate looking transaction?
Old 12-31-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
legitimate users have no protection against such scams

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than not sending money to online strangers you don't know and have never met.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:28 PM

I'm glad to see that evolution still works. I hope that $740 you lost prevents you from reporducing and passing on your stupidity to future generations.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:31 PM

It is his fault. Any random person asking for a western union transfer is a scammer. Paypal and the like do the exact same thing in the case of fraudlant transactions. Think about it for a while and realize how much fraud you could commit if they didn't operate this way. I am sure if you read pokerstars terms of agreement they spell this out.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:32 PM

I saw that guy at my tables today asking what Western Union is.

Ryan
Old 12-31-2005, 04:49 PM

lol retard.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:51 PM

This is why when I see "Will someone trade me $$$ at Stars for money at Party" I notify the mod. Why should Pokerstars pay you $740 because you fell for an obvious scam?

I hope people read this thread and remember it the next time a scamming post here or somewhere else is made. It certainly is not Pokerstars fault you fell for this and you have no recourse.

NEVER NEVER NEVER trade funds with someone you dont know.