Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: What to do on this flop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
uhh, raise

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to re-read whatever taught you how to play poker if you are considering anything other than a raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i call and its not even close; i only fear reverse domination from 1 out of 3 remaining vils (VPIP), am getting very little fold equity against a guy willing to bet out a coordinated flop against SIX vils, and am not getting the equity to value pump against 1-2 potential callers.

the high possibility of getting check-3bet or bet-3bet by the opening vil far outweighs the possibility of taking a freecard; particularly when we can still call correctly on the turn or raise for more value in BB when we hit.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising with the intention of taking a free card on the turn if you miss is solid poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, raising with the intention of folding the field is wrong. Raising with the intention of taking a free card on the turn if you miss is solid poker. You've got a 9+1.5+0.5=11 out draw, which gives you roughly 44% equity. A raise doesn't cost you all that much, even HU. Furthermore, if you do end up HU, you might take the pot down with a turn bet. If you're not HU, you take a free card and profit. I think this is a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's a raise. I expect at least one of the SB, BB and UTG+1 to call anyway. It's a tiny gamble: a good shot at building a nice big pot, with the downside that we might end up as a very slight dog HU, but with both position and control of the hand (unless he 3bets). The first situation is great, and the 2nd situation isn't half bad either.

Just wanted to air my views on the reasons why we do what we do. The OP asked if he should raise to buy ace-outs (let's be clear on this: no, but...). The guys that wrote "raise" without any explanation, as if the reasoning is patently obvious, could leave him under the misapprehension that we want to isolate here.

Calling certainly isn't bad, and in situations it's preferable (limpers are reliable folders, bettor is extremely aggressive and ain't gonna go quietly). And I think that it's very, very arguable here: UTG+2 just bet into a coordinated flop with six (6!) other people in it. It's not a bluff, and we could be getting 3-bet here, which would really suck if it's HU.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Ok, MrWookie, you and SSHE (pg. 169, paragraph 3) have convinced me that raising is probably the better play here.