Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Default KK - Single suited flop...what next?

I seem to run into hands like this on a semi-regular basis(Overpair on a scary flop) and I always have second thoughts about my play. Villian is a typical party donk. I'd been at the table for a decent amount of time and had only shown down good hands outside of my blinds. Comments on all streets are welcome, but I'm most curious to hear some thoughts on the turn.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: KK - Single suited flop...what next?

Call the flop raise and donk (lead) the turn if no club comes.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM

bet flop is OK
call MP2's raise.

lead turn and fold if you have to put any more money in.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM

I would just call the raise on flop and then jam a non club turn. I would fold to a club on the turn.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM

I'm grunching right now, so here's a question to throw out here... should hero wait until a safe card (not a club) comes down on the turn to start raising? Bear with me as I think this out aloud. With 2 cards to come, if MP2 is on a flush draw, he has 9 outs to hit, which gives him a 1.86:1 chance to hit from the flop to river. At the flop, the pot odds are 9.5(SB):1 to MP2 to call hero's first bet. Let's say that instead hero checks and calls the flop, so of course MP2 would bet and hero would call. Hypothetically let's say a safe card comes down on turn. Hero now bets, which gives MP2 pot odds of 5.25 (BB):1. MP2 has odds to hit his last flush card on the river of 4.11:1... Ok, so it seems as if your hand cannot be protected in this situation by waiting until the turn. Thanks for letting me think this one out! Interesting hand... can't wait to see what everyone else said.

I think I'd still play it out exactly like you did. I like the flop 3-bet because it gives you more information into what MP2 might be playing with. Since he capped, I would also call down thinking I'm going to see a flop-made flush but secretly praying for 7-2o.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM

hmm now that I see that everyone else suggests waiting until the turn, that's exactly what I'm going to do in the future in any similar hand. Thanks everyone.