Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM

Default UTG AA play $2 MTT

I've been playing poker for about a month now, and don't really know if this is risky or a decent play. I would normally raise them up, but figured I'de try something new. I kind of got lucky with the flop since set-mining is out of the question, and no draws. Like to hear some opinions about the pre-flop play, and the line. Obviously it worked, but I want to know if it's not great for the long run. thanks

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1491350
Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: UTG AA play $2 MTT

At $2 MTT's, it really isn't worth it since nobody at the table is paying attention anyways. Raise here 100% of the time, in my opinion.

Pokerhand doesn't want to work for me, though, so I can't comment on the anything further than the limp preflop.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks I was just curious. Figured I'de try something new. The hand converter doesn't work for me for some reason, but I tried to cut and paste somebody elses. Here's the rest of the hand.

NL Texas Hold'em Trny:35588081 Level:9 Blinds-Antes(600/1,200 -50) - Monday, September 17, 11:47:04 ET 2007
Table $1k Gtd (1153262) Table #8 (Real Money)
Seat 3: HERO ( 37 165 )
Seat 6: kerminator_ ( 30 470 )
Seat 7: Jabba05 ( 45 314 )
Seat 5: bevington2 ( 30 171 )
Seat 2: micron77 ( 13 303 )
Seat 8: uwe62 ( 57 611 )
Seat 4: tosspot88 ( 31 918 )

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls t1200, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 calls t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button raises t3600. <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls t2400</font>, MP3 calls t2400.

Flop: (t950) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">HERO checks</font>MP3 checks, Button raises t3600
<font color="#0000FF">HERO raises 13200</font> MP# folds, button calls t9800

turn3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#0000FF">HERO raises t12000</font>button calls t12000
river4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#0000FF">HERO raises all-in t8315</font>button calls.

Hero shows A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button shows 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HERO wins 79,380
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM

I raise it the second time it gets to me. Not sure if you had the option.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM

If I'm limping PF I prefer limp/call to limp/raise since everyone automatically thinks that that is AA (although I think raising the first time is better than limping). I think flop is ok but just shove the Turn.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

if you're going to limp call aces, u wouldn't do it in a multi way pot

even w/ one oponent that's waayyyyy too tricky for $2 tournament, just re-raise all in and take what is in there

the point in limping in early position with aces is to reraise and win a small pot

if you want to win a big pot ur best bet is to raise them to begin with
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks guys. I had a feeling I was trying to get too tricky there. I'll just raise em up.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM

When you're thinking about limping with AA, I'd ask the following questions:

1) Is there a good chance someone behind me will raise? Have you seen others raise limpers? Or does limping create a limp-fest?

2) Is there a short stack likely to push if you just limp that will fold if you raise?

3) Are you in position (i.e. button or cutoff at the earliest) and the blinds are very tight, but likely to put a lot in the pot with a one-pair hand?

4) Can you get off your hand when your opponent says "AA no good"?

If any of these conditions are very unlikely, you've got to raise, instead of limp, otherwise, your expectation with AA will be negative, or at least less than if you just raise and play it straightforward.

You really need to be about 67% sure these conditions will be met to make the play.

Also, look at stack to pot size if you're called, or if there's 5 or so limpers. If you're going to end up with less than a pot sized bet, you're better off pushing. Don't put yourself in a position where your opponent is priced into a call with any kind of decent draw.

Edit:

I'd say I limp with AA only like 3% of the time.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're thinking about limping with AA, I'd ask the following questions:

1) Is there a good chance someone behind me will raise? Have you seen others raise limpers? Or does limping create a limp-fest?

2) Is there a short stack likely to push if you just limp that will fold if you raise?

3) Are you in position (i.e. button or cutoff at the earliest) and the blinds are very tight, but likely to put a lot in the pot with a one-pair hand?

4) Can you get off your hand when your opponent says "AA no good"?

If any of these conditions are very unlikely, you've got to raise, instead of limp, otherwise, your expectation with AA will be negative, or at least less than if you just raise and play it straightforward.

You really need to be about 67% sure these conditions will be met to make the play.

Also, look at stack to pot size if you're called, or if there's 5 or so limpers. If you're going to end up with less than a pot sized bet, you're better off pushing. Don't put yourself in a position where your opponent is priced into a call with any kind of decent draw.

Edit:

I'd say I limp with AA only like 3% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot.

I'de been watching, and the chip leader was raising fairly loosely on the button, so I felt confident that there would be some raising. The table didn't have many limpers at all. Mostly because prior to this hand there was two shortstacks that were going all in often PF, but they just got kicked out. I'de have trouble letting go of AA, but if the board wasn't perfect like it was I could let them go if I was beat.

Appreciate the advice
Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm limping PF I prefer limp/call to limp/raise since everyone automatically thinks that that is AA (although I think raising the first time is better than limping). I think flop is ok but just shove the Turn.

[/ QUOTE ]