Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Default NL25 Misclick Makes Me Attempt to Play

I've not really ventured into the world of playing with a decent stack yet. Most of the time I buy in short and play the nit 2 street game and if I start getting into a bigger stack, I try to play a bit, but normally leave. I plan on doing this until I start getting better at this game.

Anyway, I've gotten pretty lucky at this table, and now I have a decent stack.

This post will be a bit long, because I want to throw my thinking out here so I can get corrected.

I have $29 in the sb with 78o. It's folded around to the Co who raises like $0.6. I mean to fold, but my son bumps my arm and I call (kids in lap are -EV). The BB folds.

The flop comes down 269r, and I'm lost.

The co I have like 230 hands on. He's 25/5 and seems extremely aggressive. The pot is like $1.50. He started with like $13.

I check. My thinking here was that I was hoping he bets a fairly small amount, and I can see my draw fairly cheaply. I always get timid in these situations because I don't want to get stuck in a situation where I can't see the next card. I don't know if that's bad thinking or not. I thought it might be a decent spot for a blocking bet of like .6, but again, I didn't want to fold.

What do you normally do on this flop?

He bets, $1.30. I think about how hidden my draw is, which makes it more likely to get his stack if I hit. I think this is a pretty easy call.

I don't think about the turn until it lands.

It's a T and puts 2 of a flush down.

I have no idea what to do. What's standard here?

I think he's really aggressive, so I'm going to let him put some chips in. The pot is a hair over $4 now, and he bets $3.50 into it.

I'm lost. I don't know what I should be thinking about. I think I have to make a move now. There are too many river scare cards that might make him check through, and I don't want to check the river regardless because seeing it check through makes me puke. So, I decided to c/r. I don't know what amount I should do, but the pot is pretty big, and a pot size raise just about puts him all in.

I just raise enough to put him all in.

What do you think?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: NL25 Misclick Makes Me Attempt to Play

I don't know how much he has behind but I'd raise enough to pot-commit your self and him so that he has the chance to push.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:40 PM

You played it fine.

Once you just called with your draw and hit, checking to him was appropriate. The advantage of straight draws is that they are often more disguised than flush draws. You checked the turn and he bet aggressively again which means one of a couple of things:

1) He has a biggish hand that he won't lay down.
2) He has no real hand and he's trying to buy it.
3) He has a medium hand and he wants to buy it.
4) He had a decent hand and now picked up a flush draw to go with it so he is feeling more comfortable.

In two of those scenarios (1,4) I think a check-raise putting him all-in is optimal. In #2 you only lose $$ if he was capable of firing a 3rd bullet, which isn't likely enough to justify a check, and in #3 you may or may not get a call (he does have >1/3 if his stack in now, and your straight is somewhat concealed), but again, given the possibility of #1 and #4 I think you need to move now.

It sounds like he folded, which was probably AK thinking he could get you off a medium pair.

NH
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much he has behind but I'd raise enough to pot-commit your self and him so that he has the chance to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot on the turn after his bet is like $7.50. This leaves him like $8 left.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM

25/5 isn't the most important factor here

what is the villain's Attempt to Steal Blinds %? That is the foremost factor here IMO.

If it (ATSB) is quite high (meaning that he is raising a lot of unpaired broadway, SCs, etc),
I bet out hoping to take the pot there as the flop likely missed. If he raises, I have no problem 3-betting allin as he would have a tough time calling with anything upaired (AK, AQ, etc-which you're a coinflip with anyway) and smaller overpairs, which you're not that big of a dog against. The key is massive fold equity and your hand likely being the statistical favorite at showdown verse his range.

If it (ATSB) isn't that high, it means that pocket pairs comprise a large part of his range. You're better off just trying to draw cheaply and c/r his stack allin at some point.
This is how you played it. Seems fine.
Just c/r allin on the turn as any significant raise pot commits you. AA-QQ likely call (>95% at 25NL IMO) as your hand is still somewhat hidden. If he has a set, or the flush draw with overs, make him pay.

Blocking bets are not the best idea here as they don't slow down aggressive opponents too much.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25/5 isn't the most important factor here

what is the villain's Attempt to Steal Blinds %? That is the foremost factor here IMO.

If it (ATSB) is quite high (meaning that he is raising a lot of unpaired broadway, SCs, etc),
I bet out hoping to take the pot there as the flop likely missed. If he raises, I have no problem 3-betting allin as he would have a tough time calling with anything upaired (AK, AQ, etc-which you're a coinflip with anyway) and smaller overpairs, which you're not that big of a dog against. The key is massive fold equity and your hand likely being the statistical favorite at showdown verse his range.

If it (ATSB) isn't that high, it means that pocket pairs comprise a large part of his range. You're better off just trying to draw cheaply and c/r his stack allin at some point.
This is how you played it. Seems fine.
Just c/r allin on the turn as any significant raise pot commits you. AA-QQ likely call (>95% at 25NL IMO) as your hand is still somewhat hidden. If he has a set, or the flush draw with overs, make him pay.

Blocking bets are not the best idea here as they don't slow down aggressive opponents too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, thx. I need to fix PA to show that stat.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM

I think you played it fine. On the turn checking is fine since he is aggressive and you can expect to CR.

My thought at this point is "how do I get the rest of his stack?" He bets, the pot is ~$7.5 and he has ~$8 behind. I might CR to about $8($4.50 more) and bet the rest on the river. You want to get called here. But the all in worked.

FWIW- just play deep. With your limit skills, playing deep isn't hard.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:05 PM

ALWAYS PLAY DEEP or STEP DOWN TO A LIMIT U CAN AFFORD TO BUY IN FULL

WE NITZ THANK U
Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. On the turn checking is fine since he is aggressive and you can expect to CR.

My thought at this point is "how do I get the rest of his stack?" He bets, the pot is ~$7.5 and he has ~$8 behind. I might CR to about $8($4.50 more) and bet the rest on the river. You want to get called here. But the all in worked.

FWIW- just play deep. With your limit skills, playing deep isn't hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

He folded to my c/r.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 PM

minraise the turn and shove any river