Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 AM

Default 1 pr raising turn?

I'm a NL dabbler and I feel like this could be a general question but I'll give a specific hand. Basic idea is you have a top pair type hand on turn heads up. Enough left for 2 substantial bets. Is raising bad?

2-5 live. good game. I've just bought in for 400. most cover with 1-2k. I limp QdTd in ep. Limp, not limp, debatable. But I expect a family pot, 50-50 limped or raised once.

Button made it 20 and 4 of us see Ts 7c 2h. I check call button for $50. heads up.

Turn is 9d. I check hoping for a check and call river unimproved. He bets 100. I shove.

It seems clear this makes most worst fold and better call. Which is like the definition of terrible. But it saves me from having to make a big call or fold on river (w/ his 1-pr value, bluff, and outdraws all running together on river often). Is that a good justification? Looking at the situation pretty generally. Or is it terrible? I guess this is pretty basic...

edit: I guess the way to pose it analytically is: while the raise polarizes a lot of his range against you, do you expect enough value from making him read you for bluffs and draws, instead of you making the read on the river?