Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Why is SNG rake so high?

Last summer, I was personally invited by Lee Jones to have lunch in order to discuss how to make improvements on Pokerstars- implementing a VIP program was something we discussed that day. I also got offered a position to work at their headquarters offshore. Not that my opinion carries a ton of weight or anything, but significant changes have been made in the past. Their management is a bit stubborn but they definitely listen.

Anyways please just send your emails and we'll see what happens.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) the idea of getting together a group of good 2p2 players, and have them mass migrate to another site is self-evidently stupid. i want to minimise the number of 2p2 players in my games, not maximmise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but it is the only real threat we have...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM

i think sending 100 emails is a lot less classy than having a post/thread/site set up with 100 "e-signatures" and then having one person email them in a polite manner as a representative.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 AM

I'm all for lowering rake, but I doubt it will happen.
If there is a day where everyone "strikes" I'm going to grind like crazy. Also getting p5's will help the more people who help the better.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 PM

I've read the whole thread, and one thing people are overlooking is there is some historical precedent.

Before the ban, Stars offered $5+0.50 STTs while Party offered $5+1. If the theory is correct that people will flock to lower rake, one would expect nobody to play the Party $5+1 tournaments. In fact, they ran all the time.

I've been playing STTs since back when Paradise offered only limit tournaments that stopped running at midnight. I think they set the standard at 10% rake. 10+1, 20+2 etc. Stars actually has lower rake than the historical values.

Food for thought.

Paul
Old 07-26-2007, 10:39 PM

The promo sounds like one of the few ideas that has a chance in this thread, I would love to see it happen.

I'd also be happy with more fpps/$1 of rake paid for sngs. Changing the fpp structure slightly is much less of a risk for them as opposed to directly changing their prices.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 PM

I never understood why they charged such widely different rates for different games just to come up with a round number. The simplest thing would be to just charge a flat rate, like 6% for the very lowest buy-ins down to 2% for the highest. So, instead of 6.50, 16, 27, 60, they might have 6+.36 (6%), 15+.75 (5%), 25+1.25 (5%), 55+2.20 (4%), all the way to 1000+20 (2%). Just list the base portion of the buy-in in the lobby, and show the buy-in + rake on the sign-up box and on the HH.

The simplest way to test whether a lower rake would increase business would be to persuade them to start a 40+2 turbo for some fixed period of time. If it blows away the unbelievably stupid 32+3 games, then there's their answer.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 PM

I think the real problem is that a large part of pokerstars player pool are the fish who just buy into a game with complete disregard as to what the entry fee is and how significantly it cuts into profit....don't know if that was already said I don't want to wade through 12 pages of text...This is becoming the harry potter of posts.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real problem is that a large part of pokerstars player pool are the fish who just buy into a game with complete disregard as to what the entry fee is and how significantly it cuts into profit....don't know if that was already said I don't want to wade through 12 pages of text...This is becoming the harry potter of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lololol at not having 99 posts per page

But really its true that fish don't pay attention to rake percents, so our best hope is to either all email support with a detailed response, or to create an intelligent sounding letter on the forum with everyones contributions and get some signatures on it. If we aren't doing either of these things were just wasting time and accomplishing nothing.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to either all email support with a detailed response, or to create an intelligent sounding letter on the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

... say, like this?