Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Effectiveness of spread a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

[ QUOTE ]
That's the whole issue here, that the NFL network wants to charged based on their perception of what they want to be, rather than the reality of what they actually are.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just summed up the concept of bargaining in one sentence.

The NFL Network has NFL games. People LOVE the NFL. As it stands, the NFL undoubtedly has the upperhand here - and while people don't like paying more for cable, people already think the cable company charges too much for its service.

The NFL's going to win this battle because it always does - it wins every battle.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/g...112907_big.gif

The above is the map of the Wisconsin area getting the game.

From WIKI...An exception to the 75-mile rule is the market area for the Green Bay Packers, which stretches out to both the Green Bay and Milwaukee television markets (the team's radio flagship station is in Milwaukee, and two Packer home games a year were played at Milwaukee County Stadium until 1994). However, blackout rules rarely come into effect for the Packers, due to a four-decade long streak of sellouts and a decades-long season ticket waiting list.

Edit: I believe Milw gets the best of both worlds. I believe they get to be GB local for NFLN purposes, but for gamedays they are not subject to the "Can't show a 2nd game at the same time as a home game" rule that other home markets are a part of.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

[ QUOTE ]
As I mentioned in the other thread:

I actually get NFL Network on my package. Awesome!! Get to watch the games!!
WRONG!!
Today there was some thing scrolling across the screen that said my cable-company did not carry the games-package to show the Thurs and Sat night prime-time games so unless I was in the local market I would not get to see the game. Contact my cable company. My phone-calls can make a difference.

WHAT?!?!
I actually get the NFL Network and could watch the pre-game show tonight as well as any of their other programming including the replays of the past Sunday's games that they show...but when the live games come on they black it out because of the deal with y specific cable operator?
WTF? They get the channel but still not the games?!?!

Pretty irritating.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the same thing as getting the different Fox Sports Net channels that carry all of their local teams games but you won't get to see them unless you live in that area (because those games are owned by the NCAA Gameplan or FULLCOURT or EXTRA INNINGS, etc)
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked if any NFL fan that has the network would say they'd only watch it five times a year. It's great.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the season I go through withdrawal when I go home for breaks. Though during the offseason for football I only watched the "draft" stuff which included the senior bowl, combine, and their draft coverage(which was not much better than ESPN).
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much the same thing as getting the different Fox Sports Net channels that carry all of their local teams games but you won't get to see them unless you live in that area (because those games are owned by the NCAA Gameplan or FULLCOURT or EXTRA INNINGS, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same at all. You don't get those games because you didn't pay for them.

The guy you responded to didn't get the NFL game because his cable provider didn't pay for them.

E.g., I get Fox Sports AZ all the time . . . except when the Suns play. I need to pay $150+ to get League Pass to get those games. Since I don't want to pay for that, I don't get the games. Fair enough.

The guy you responded to pays for NFL Network. He gets it all but 3 hours every week, because the cable company is refusing to pay extra to the NFL (or, if you want to look at it the other way, because the NFL is extorting money from the cable companies).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM

cost me $3.50 a month to get it added, which is reasonable
Old 11-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I guess I dont get why I am paying for a package that has NFL network listed but when I call comcast they tell me nfl network isnt available in my area...dude...its on your list of channels that i am paying for...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM

So what you are saying is that you get Fox Sports AZ for all but 3 hours a week and some other guy gets NFLN for all but 3 hours a week? And it's not the same??

Way back in the stone age, Fox Sports AZ WOULD show the games regardless of where you were located.

The issue came up when the fees were negotiated again. The leagues want to charge the companies per viewer (that's an easy argument but it's a lot more complicated than that). If you add it basic then it's a prohibitive cost to the company and to each viewer. That is when the Sports Specific all access channels came to be (Sport said "you pay us an overall fee [which is less than it would be if you added it to basic/sports pkg programming] and we take a cut of each viewer").

At this point, Cable (or in your case your satellite provider) views the price of the NFLN (or in your case Fox Sports AZ) as a fair cost. When it comes to the added cost to broadcasting the games on that channel Comcast (or again your provider) thinks the cost is too much and elected not to pay for the right to broadcast it. Your provider in this instance decides to pay to subscribe to the NBA Plan and you can pay for it if you choose.

In your situation you are acclimated to it and the outrage is gone (or it might be all you ever knew). The only difference is that he has no other recourse through his cable company (unless he wants a dish). Cable thinks it is too much, and NFL won't budge on the price.

Personally, Cable might have it right this time. Now Big Ten has their network, Mountain west has their own, SEC is coming up with their own I believe. It is going to get expensive for providers in a hurry if they don't take a stand.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's the whole issue here, that the NFL network wants to charged based on their perception of what they want to be, rather than the reality of what they actually are.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just summed up the concept of bargaining in one sentence.

The NFL Network has NFL games. People LOVE the NFL. As it stands, the NFL undoubtedly has the upperhand here - and while people don't like paying more for cable, people already think the cable company charges too much for its service.

The NFL's going to win this battle because it always does - it wins every battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Anyone who thinks a petition or mass refusal to buy the NFLN will ever work is extremely wrong. First, when the NFL planned this decision, they knew there would be backlashes like this and accounted for it. Second, they already have a huge sunk cost in advertising, creating new shows, HD equipment, etc etc. Now is way past the point they would have turned around at. Especially since the programming they created is actually good. NFLN games will eventually take the place things like MNF and thanksgiving games, and in 5 years this discussion will seem quaint. And the NFL will have a gigantic asset which it didn't before. Now the fact that not all cable companies carry NFLN is a legitimate problem which hurts consumers, but really whatever dispute exists there I would bet the NFL eventually will win. At the end of the day they have the best product on the market and their efforts to be compensated for it will be rewarded since they are well run.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/g...112907_big.gif

The above is the map of the Wisconsin area getting the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to post this link. This is all a big pissing match between NFL & cable operators. These battles are waged everyday in corporate America and often it's the people who feel the backlash.

That said, I have no sympathy for anyone crying about not getting the game. Why?

1. You've known this was a potential big game for at least 4 weeks now.
2. You've known if the NFL Network is carried by your cable outlet since start of NFL Season (over 3 months ago).
3. Local bars will carry the game
4. Friends/family might have the dish and carry the game
5. Possibly radio will carry the game (not the same)

Cliff notes: This isn't new news and you've had plenty of time to make arrangements. If you haven't, it's your fault.