Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Help Please

For the past 4 years, I've been horribly out of shape. All the smoking and drinking w/o any athletic activity started to make me feel like crap and I missed how I felt better about myself when I was younger and in shape. A couple months ago, I quit smoking for the most part and started running everyday and doing a little push up work out every other day. I'm beginning to feel better and think I am ready to start lifting again.

Problem is I know absolutely nothing about weights. I lifted w/ the team in high school and just copied my roommate's routine in college. I have no idea what I am doing at all and don't remember the routines at all. Can someone point me where to learn some of this stuff or answer some questions for me. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Help Please

read the faq...there are some diets and workouts in there...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

If you are serious about your health and can afford it. Join a gym and get a personal trainer.

pokervintage
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

I don't really need a diet. I graduated high school 5'7" 145. i graduated college at 130 eating more, but exercising way less. I have the metabolism of a rat and mostly wanna put on weight. I found some helpful stuff in the FAQ and will likely just join a gym and get a personal trainer for a couple sessions to make sure my form is ok and to help me get started.

i guess this thread can be locked. sorry for the lame questions
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM

When most people here say "diet" they don't mean calorie restriction. They mean planning out what types and quantities of food you eat, usually in some sort of framework of total amount of macronutrients and calories. Everyone who's serious about getting fit and healthy could use a diet in that sense of the word.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM

i got that part. it's just that in the FAQ there didn't appear to be a skinny diet plan until i looked later at "foods that make you look good nekkid."
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are serious about your health and can afford it. Join a gym and get a personal trainer.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Level?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:30 PM

I'd be careful with a gym-appointed trainer. When I had free membership a few years ago, I went in and told them my goals.... they said it's impossible to weight lift + run, since they will "cancel each other out" and you'll just "waste your time." They then said the machines were the best thing ever.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I don't trust most trainers at all. Though I can see how they might be useful for some people for motivation purposes. It can be hard to do it all by yourself; when you have an appointment and another person to disappoint, you're more likely to stick to your plan.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i got that part. it's just that in the FAQ there didn't appear to be a skinny diet plan until i looked later at "foods that make you look good nekkid."

[/ QUOTE ]
Starting strength (in the FAQ) has diet advice for skinny guys w/high metabolism. The program is also the defacto standard (around here at least) for people that are starting out in strength training. I've just started doing it myself recently and it's great fun (don't know how effective it is yet).