Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Default When you can only beat a bluff? Can you call?

Hello all, An interesting situation came up when I was playing 2,3 NL cash games. I had about 500-550 in front of me. The mid position player raises to $15 (a very standard raise on this table) the cut off calls, I call from the button with 10 9 Suited diamonds, then the BB calls. The flop comes 4 J Q with 2 spades, everyone checks the flop.
The turn is a 5, everyone checks and I decide that there was weakness and fire out a bet trying to take the pot down with a $50 bet into a $60 pot assuming everyone was drawing and was not strong. The two early and mid positions quickly fold but then the cut off was thinking about a play, He ended up announcing hes all in for $165, which suprised me. He was playing relatively tight that game but I couldnt have put him on the J or the Q or the spade draw becuase he would have generally bet on the turn. I called time and was thinking I had the best hand, It was another $115 to call and I was getting about 2.5 to 1 and if he had me beat with a high card I still had outs to beat him come the river. I decided to fold and then he turned over 7 3 off suit, which absolutely baffled me, my inital read was that he was weak, but my major concern was that he may have a high card or ateast a small pocket pair which beats me at that stage anyway. Im still confused as to what I should have done, any input would be great, I feel I made the right fold but I think his play was very risky considering it was a stone cold bluff and I had been playing very well with solid cards etc. Feedback would be great thanks????
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: When you can only beat a bluff? Can you call?

put him on a range of hands and see if you have enough equity vs. said range
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: When you can only beat a bluff? Can you call?

Your turn bet is awful. If you hit the J/Q you most likely bet the flop once it gets checked to you. Seeing as how you checked it with your SD (fine) you cant bet that turn card with any legitimacy. This is a different story if you and the CO switched position.

As played, if you felt CO would have bet a J/Q and thus has two big cards or paired the 5, you should still be calling. You have 14 probable outs (8,9,T,K). 32 bad cards. 14 good ones. ~2.3 - 1. Pot is offering ~2.5 - 1. All of this is before you add in image factor regardless of outcome....gamble time.