Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Pushing 10 percent edges in early stages - again

First of all, STTs and MTTs are two different universes that cross momentarily, but never join.

Secondly, wtf. If I had a nickel for every stranger who came in making an argument with a latent question, then having such latent question answered, then re-arguing for 3 more posts before giving up on posting altogether...

I'm too tired to give you an explanation now, but needless to say, if you choose to post here for a few months, I promise you will look back at this post and laugh a little.

Barry
PS: See FAQ and use a hand converter.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am the guy who played a very tight game in the beginning of any MTT. The few times I made it to the middle stages with above average chipstack I was unstoppable. Sadly, this happened very seldom.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't have to happen often for you to be profitable. I mostly play live MTT's and when I first started playing I played as you described... then I went through a fancy phase (I guess I was experimenting or whatever)... and now I'm pretty much back to what you describe (increasing my range just a bit in position). The biggest difference for me between my beginning phase and now is the ability to put opponents on hands and to have a decent idea what they put me on. You really don't need much more then that. What works best for me is to play like "Phil Helmuth" in the beginning stages of the tournament... and then like "Gus Hansen" when I get short or when the bubble approaches [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keep reading the forums... the best skill I've learned here is shortstack and bubble play... which at least in the live MTT's I play I feel gives me a huge advantage over those in a similar situation. So if the "Helmuth" style doesn't accumulate you chips in the early stages, switch to your shortstack/bubble play mode when the time is right and you still have a decent chance at going far.

-G
Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 AM

I did get some reaction after all. Thank you.

I have come across the issue of "small number of posts" on other forums too, please don't judge me by that, I still spend quite a time here - that's why I have these questions - they are connected to things I have read here and need further clarification on. I also realized that people on this forum don't really like to respond to general questions. That's OK with me I will try to hide my questions in posted hands in the future. See you around.