Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Rookie waiting first $200 deep stack tourney

Been playing NL holdem for two years online. I have experience with shorthanded low-limit cash games, low-limit (<$10) SnGs and low limit (<$25)MTTs.

I won an entry this week to saturday's $200 deep stack freezout tournament with a guaranteed prize pool of $65,000 on Prima Network. This is by far bigger than anything I have played in before. I am here to prepare myself to the tourney and get some advice from more experienced players.

I play a usually tight game, I wouldn't dare to call myself tight aggressive, although when I am in a pot I usually attack. I almost never draw in tournaments unless I have a big stack which is rarely the case thanks to my style but I can handle a small/medium stack pretty effectively.

My questions are as follows:
a) What about the skill level of the average players on this level?
b)How should I adjust my normally tight style in regard of my opponents?
c)Starting stack is 2000 with 20 minute blinds. Antes come in at fifth level (50/100, 5). Never played with antes at such an early level, how should I adjust to them?
d)Any other advice you think could be useful for making my transition easier?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Rookie waiting first $200 deep stack tourney

a) Skill level is still low, but with more good players than you'll be used to.
b) I would still play tight early given your background and (probable skill set). Play some speculative hands (suited connectors, low pairs from EP etc), but not too aggro.
c) Bigger antes means you should steal more. Watch out for resteals when opponents have stacks 12-25ish BBs. Don't play at Prima, so can't comment on the players there specifically.
d) Resteal vs aggro players with a stack 12-20 BBs. Open push in LP with a smallish stack (<12 BBs) with a wide range. Playing tight is probably best for you.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play some speculative hands (suited connectors, low pairs from EP etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
In the early phases should I try to limp with suited connectors from EP or is it better to try those in late pos. or unraised blind only?

[ QUOTE ]
Watch out for resteals when opponents have stacks 12-25ish BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range of hands do you defend your steal against probable resteals and how aggressively?

[ QUOTE ]
Resteal vs aggro players with a stack 12-20 BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range of hands would you do this with in the a)BB b)cutoff or button and how aggressively?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play some speculative hands (suited connectors, low pairs from EP etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
In the early phases should I try to limp with suited connectors from EP or is it better to try those in late pos. or unraised blind only?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how Prima plays/structure, probably limp from EP and raise/limp after from LP.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watch out for resteals when opponents have stacks 12-25ish BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range of hands do you defend your steal against probable resteals and how aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]
Both this and the question below is hard to answer, since it depends on so many factors. If Prima plays anything like Stars, I'm way tighter with opening vs resteal-size stacks, especially if they're good/my own stack is 12-20 BBs.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Resteal vs aggro players with a stack 12-20 BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range of hands would you do this with in the a)BB b)cutoff or button and how aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry dude, "it depends". Sometimes with crap (but rarely), sometimes with big hands only vs nits, sometimes with top 20%.