Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

I am going to recommend Cigarbid.com for ordering Cigars. I actually don't order from JR, I don't think there prices are all that good and I do better on Cigarbid for most cigars. If you want higher end stuff though, cigarbid doesn't have most of that so you want to go with JR, Cigar.com, or even cheapercigars.com

C-Dog
Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 PM

So I had a Carlos Torano Virtuoso earlier today and I liked it a lot for a brand I've not heard much about, but have seen at the cigar store. There was something distinct about it that reminded me of both the CAO brazillia and the Padron 4000, both of which are better cigars at close to the same price. It was a great smoke, but I'd rather buy CAO or padron if i get an itch for that flavor again. I wanted to get the cameroon, but didn't see it.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Here's the best Cigar tip I have:

When is Vegas go to
Las Vegas Paiute Tribal Smoke Shop
1225 N Main St
just north of downtown in a little sketchy area

some of the best prices in the nation selection is fairly impresive
Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I had a Carlos Torano Virtuoso earlier today and I liked it a lot for a brand I've not heard much about, but have seen at the cigar store. There was something distinct about it that reminded me of both the CAO brazillia and the Padron 4000, both of which are better cigars at close to the same price. It was a great smoke, but I'd rather buy CAO or padron if i get an itch for that flavor again. I wanted to get the cameroon, but didn't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Torano cigars and the virtuoso is my favorite Torano. Super smoke for the $.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 AM

A question on humidification:
Being a lazy person the automatic humdification systems appeal to me a lot. Plus it seems kinda cool to have an electric system to monitor your cigars (though a bit excessive for an amateur like myself).

But are they any good? I'm mainly thinking about the "Cigar Oasis XL Plus", it uses distilled water only (so I won't need to replace cartridges or anything, just refill water once every 6 months or so).
I'm planning to buy a new humidor, but not bigger than 100-150 capacity. Will the Oasis XL Plus work well in such a small humidor (says it is designed for cabinets etc)?

I'm also receptive to other ideas for humidification, but something that needs refilling every two weeks would probably not be the thing for me...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of websites only sell boxes. I was wondering how many of you normally buy boxes, pack of 5 or singles.
Quick poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually buy boxes but when I want to try something new JR Cigar has many cigars in five packs with the same discount you would get for a full box.

~ Rick
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 AM

Over the last five or six years I've gotten five pack samplers of various Don Diego cigars several times from JR Cigar and was always satisfied. As an added bonus this mild cigar seems to be a favorite my gf/poker hero. She quit smoking cigarettes a few years back but enjoys a once a week cigar on my porch with her specially made "Rick style" martini or a quality glass of boxed wine.

Anyway this time I broke down and got two ten pack boxes of the Don Diego Privada No.1 in a natural wrapper. As you can see from the link JR has a five cigar bonus right now so its a good deal ($70 for 25 cigars).

I'd say this cigar is similar in taste, mildness and quality to Macanudo but at about 60% of the price.

~ Rick

PS Also check out the deal of the week at JR. This week it's three each of eight decent quality 6" by 50 ring gauge cigars for $68. Link
Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM

Possible for a Cuban cigar to come wrapped in plastic, as well as pre-cut? A friend brought some over the other night, said he got them in a foreign country and that they were cuban. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't say anything (still won't). But generally, The only cigars I've had that were pre-cut were $1 or less.

For clarification, it's called "Vasco De Gama" and it has "Corona" written on the bottom.

Edit: http://www.wesleys.co.za/VascodaGama.htm

It's the 3rd one down (picture wise) Corona and I believe it is the Claro Sumatra wrapper?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Possible for a Cuban cigar to come wrapped in plastic, as well as pre-cut? A friend brought some over the other night, said he got them in a foreign country and that they were cuban. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't say anything (still won't). But generally, The only cigars I've had that were pre-cut were $1 or less.

For clarification, it's called "Vasco De Gama" and it has "Corona" written on the bottom.

Edit: http://www.wesleys.co.za/VascodaGama.htm

It's the 3rd one down (picture wise) Corona and I believe it is the Claro Sumatra wrapper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Machine made crap, tried them $2/cigar when I was starting out years ago.. nothing cuban about these ones.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM

just saw this thread in the search.

i've been smoking cigars since i was five years old. obviously i only smoked cigars when my grand dad would give them to me as a kid, but i went from swisher sweets to macanudos to punch punch and everything inbetween over the years.

i dont reccomend you buy a humidor at a shop. buy one online off ebay, and save a bundle. never ever season your humidor with your element, i.e., the element will clog the cedar, dont let the element touch the cedar.

i much prefer a hole punch over a cut on my cigars, it gets less danky.

my favorite all around smoke is without a doubt the rocky patel vintage 1992 robusto, as well as the 60 and the torpedo. a box runs me about $120, so at $6/stick it's an affordable and excellent smoke.

i dont reccomend davidoffs b/c they're over priced imo. the anniversario and the special R are nice cigars, and in general all larger guage davidoffs have excellent draw, but they're too expensive for what you get and you can get a better cigar for cheaper. if you're going to spend $15-$20 on a cigar, try a cohiba or if you can ever find one, an arturo fuente ESG.

when they're avaialable the punch rare corojo is a good smoke, and a robusto will run you around $5.

i bought a box of pre embargo cubans that i really enjoy, but if you want to fork up the cash for real cubans go to www.cigarone.com , they're out of spain and they've got a great selection of cubans. i'd reccomend starting out with the romeo and juliets, montecristos, and if you want something that will really hit you, try a punch punch.

i'd also reccomend rocky patel edge series. they're cheaper b/c he doesnt put a lot of effort into the appearance of some of them, so it saves money, but it's still a great cigar.

dont buy cigars in vegas! they're usually 30-60% more expensive than anywhere else. (the exception being the davidoff shop in cesars)

the best thing to do is go to a shop and buy a dozen different cigars and sample them. hopefully you'll find something you like that's affordable. beware, it's an expensive habit!