Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Default So I\'m thinking about getting staked by a friend...

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this post, so mods, feel free to move if necessary.

I used to be a msnl poker pro. The money was good, but I eventually started to hate poker and the lifestyle. I cashed out of every site and got a 9-5 job.

Recently, I've really gotten the itch to play again. My plan is to start playing as more of a hobby in my free time. Obviously, my bankroll is zero at this point, so a fellow poker friend asked if I wanted him to stake me. That sounds great and all, but neither him nor I is too familiar with the payout structure, and I wanted to ask other 2p2ers as a reference point.

Does anyone else here stake or get staked? If so, what percentages do the investor and player get? Is it 50/50? What about the potential for a loss? Does the investor eat that loss? What about rakeback and bonuses, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: So I\'m thinking about getting staked by a friend...

No point in getting staked online imo, you have a job, you cant scrounge up $500 and start playing .50/1NL or lower? You should be able to beat these games quick and move up.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Meh. I don't really want to spend the time (nor do I really have the time) to grind lower limits and move up. I would much prefer to play higher stakes for real money from the start.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Then deposit more and start at 200nl w/ 4k, taking a stake from a friend can get ugly.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then deposit more and start at 200nl w/ 4k, taking a stake from a friend can get ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I don't have that much in liquid assets.

Also, I have given this a lot of thought and understand the risks of getting staked from a friend, so debating this is pretty pointless.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I don't have that much in liquid assets.

Also, I have given this a lot of thought and understand the risks of getting staked from a friend, so debating this is pretty pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you re-consider some of your plan - $400 NL is not as easy as it used to be. I don't think most players can just beat it by showing up.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM

The reason I suggest going lower, is mostly because for example, you would make more money playing 1/2NL on your own than you would playing 2/4 split 50/50. So I dont see any benefit from getting staked.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I suggest going lower, is mostly because for example, you would make more money playing 1/2NL on your own than you would playing 2/4 split 50/50. So I dont see any benefit from getting staked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is assuming we split the winnings 50/50, which is a very big assumption. Also, you aren't considering the additional money from RB.

Once again, I don't have the liquid assets at this point to jump into 200nl by myself.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Thats my lifestyle man... In the underground people joke about me and "The Kid" Cause always broke and stuff but when I play with friends $ everything seems to turn to gold. So heres how we setup our stakes with just one of my usual backers. Depending on how well the backer knows your play and how comfortable / past winnings they may want a higher % early on. This is usually how it works for me. We start with the backer getting around 65% at the start of the stake and the more profit I make over say 2 weeks we cut it down to 50/50. Once we reach a determined point in the stake such as a cash out we start the process over again. I hope this helps. Everyone has there own methods and 65% isnt anything special... but I can get it rain or shine if there around. Goodluck on the field!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 PM

spend a month at 50/1 and get used to the way the games are?

50/50 is good for cash games.