Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 AM

Default can/will antigua actually mass produce american dvds etc?

jay cohen wrote in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe when the RIAA and Motion Picture Association ask their lobbyists what the hell is going in in DC and why their product is suddenly unprotected Congress will wake up and pressure the Administration to settle the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

is it plausible that antigua would actually start pumping out copies of windows vista for 3 bucks a pop?

if that happened, what would the US response be? it obviously wouldn't be to sit back and do nothing. it seems like it would be a bunch of diplomacy/pissing-contest and then if that didn't work the US would have to invade. but that just seems ridiculous. so what's a more reasonable scenario?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: can/will antigua actually mass produce american dvds etc?

I agree with you really...I think it's just a pissing contest and I very seriously doubt they're going to go to these lengths. End game sounds like the U.S. paying some sort of fine to Antigua. That being said, a lot of Europe really hates the U.S. govt., and the formation of the E.U. came about in no small part because the countries of Europe got tired of being pushed around by the U.S. For that reason I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility of this getting really nasty. I just think it's pretty unlikely over something like this.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 AM

I don't think it would be too hard to digitally distribute music, movies, and software. Just buy one copy and Im sure WSEX would loan them some servers. Maybe dont even bother to charge for downloads. Imagine a a poker bonus for one free MP3 per 10 raked hands.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 AM

Not only Antigua, but from recent developments seeming to indicate that India, Brazil, and the European Union are going to strongly back Antigua in their fight with typical US hypocrisy you may see ALL of these countries pumping out dvd's for us to buy. I know I damn sure will buy some.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine a a poker bonus for one free MP3 per 10 raked hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do I sign up?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 AM

I think that this will lead to a breaking point...of some sort.

1. Gladiator is sold for 19.99 at Best Buy, and 2.99 at Antiquaonline.com.

2. US govt says, "WTF?" We did NOT anticipate this.

3. Bunch of officials sit in room, have catered lunch, and look mad.

4. One of them gets a great idea. His name is, let's say, Bill (or something).

5. Bill says, "If we are prohibiting off shore sites from accepting money for the purposes of wagering yada yada yada, why couldn't we do the same for the purposes of buying "illegal" copies of intellectual property?

6. Bill gets patted on the back numerous times.

7. Another bill that is unenforceable against offshore sites is developed that continues to erode American citizens' freedom.

8. Banks are starting to get a little upset. They figure, "Crap, it's like we have to block every freakin thing."

9. Offshore sites like Antiquaonline.com sense the Banks' frustration, and open up like wildfire. There's absoultely no way for anyone to keep track of the number of sites that sell intellectual properly when they're not supposed to.

10. Our government freaks out, and....
Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only Antigua, but from recent developments seeming to indicate that India, Brazil, and the European Union are going to strongly back Antigua in their fight with typical US hypocrisy you may see ALL of these countries pumping out dvd's for us to buy. I know I damn sure will buy some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we in America are going to be able to buy $1 DVDs from Antigua, because our government will prosecute that. I think the question is whether the EU countries are going to stop their own citizens from buying knockoffs of US IP from Antigua.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 AM

High end IP like Microsoft Vista have activation keys that will prohibit their widescale sale.

However, has anyone considered if some EU software company would open up in Antigua which would then develop and publish other software that violated other IP rights? IP law is very convoluted and that might be the direction that this goes. Especially as Microsoft has to disclose their kernels to EU competition.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, a lot of Europe really hates the U.S. govt., and the formation of the E.U. came about in no small part because the countries of Europe got tired of being pushed around by the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether that's true or not, the various EU states hate each other even more than they hate the US.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, a lot of Europe really hates the U.S. govt., and the formation of the E.U. came about in no small part because the countries of Europe got tired of being pushed around by the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether that's true or not, the various EU states hate each other even more than they hate the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I'll buy that.