Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

My problem with many of the comments in this thread is they seem to either come from the point of view that schools administrators are dbags or lawyers/bratty kids are dbags.

From my own school experiences, I know that some teachers/administrators are dbags and some arent. Some kids/parents are and some aren't.

In middle school i used to bring a walk man to school. The were against the rules and not allowed on campus. I'd listen to it on the bus and keep in in my locker. The bus driver was cool. In order for it to be confiscated, a teacher would have to have gone out of his way to take it from me. And if he did that, then he would be the d-bag IMO. However, if i was being disruptive with it, or taking it to class, flaunting it...then I would have been the dbag.

I think the same analysis applies to cell phones, but i don't think we have enough info to be sure who is at fault. Though it probably was kid/parent, because its pretty hard to imagine the phone getting taken three times with out the kid using it at inappropriate times.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if the property were an expensive bottle of scotch, a Playboy magazine, or xanax (assume Mom has a legal script)? Would you feel differently and why?

There really is no difference because all are against the rules,

[/ QUOTE ]

of course there are differences. the ones you listed would be of concern and some illegal outside of school. the school should call Child Protective Services and file a report if those were found.

a cell phone outside of school is nothing to be concerned about and is only a worry because the school made it against the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about a device that beeps loudly every minute? surely you can see that some things that are "ok outside of school" could be considered "inappropriate for in-school use or possession"

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know. i hate playing the analogy game. does the parent own it? will its absence impact the parent? does it cost the parent money for the month it's gone?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the teachers confiscated the phone because he was moving it from his jacket, to say, his backpack, then it was a poor move on the teachers part.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree 100% but highly doubt that was the case.

even so, say you had a hardass teacher that would confiscate a cell phone at the mere sight of it. if you got caught 3 times it's safe to say you're a complete dunce and have bigger problems than not having your cell phone for a month.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

my school had a "if we see your phone we take it rule". It was a private school with about 1100 kids and alot of seniors were on first name basis with their teachers (though not in class obvs) so generally rules were pretty relaxed. I was a bit of an arrogant [censored] back in the day (last year)so I would generally abuse rules blatantly if i thought they were stupid (only calls i would take during school were from my parents and I would always go outside of the building to take them/if i was in class i would ask to use the washroom).

Anyways I was outside at Lunch when my mom phoned me to ask me to pick up my sister from work after school... I was walking back from my car (seniors are allowed to leave for lunch) and literally no-one was around/I was on the border of school property when this [censored] math teacher who is a huge prick (anal retentive...mother probably loved him TOO much etc.) grabs my shoulder and tells me to give him my phone (literally only teacher at my school who would enforce rule in this scenario).

I say "hold on, I'm talking to my mom"
he says "[my name] you can't just do whatever you want at school (angry tone)".
I give him the big eye-roll/look of disgust and contempt and consider telling him that one of my close family members just died or my sisters in the hospital but decide against.
I say "don't be a hero Mr. [his name]"
He sticks out his hand and glares at me
I say "ugh fine... here's my phone... such an ass..."
he says "what did you just say to me?"
I say "well it's just a bit frustrating that you're taking my phone because i stepped onto the boundary of school property before finishing talking to my mom.... blah blah blah self-righteous speech"

We had a uniform at school and this is the same teacher who used to follow me on to the school bus when i was in grade 7-10 and make me put my black shoes back on after i changed into runners on the bus because i had to walk pretty far from my stop to get home... such a dick.

anyways he took my phone for a week. My parents were furious because they paid for that phone so that they could no I was safe/keep in contact with me and whatever and I didn't have it when i went out that weekend. My mom heard the whole incident through the phone and she's the first to get mad at me for being a dick but she hates that math teacher and was livid at the school for the whole thing.

I guess I can see both sides of the argument.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way 4_2_it, whenever i'm in poker tournaments lately, not online so much but live tournaments, and i get dealt a 42 suited or offsuit, i usually raise it up, and think to myself "4_2 it" because i read that once in a past post of yours and it stuck in my head

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you have won a few big pots with it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that schools are so terrible these days that I can't support any of their rules, no matter what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank the parents who's kids aren't held accountable for anything because the parents have the 'not my kid' mentality.

b
Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM

I agree that selective enforcement is stupid and petty and encourages people like that d-bag teacher to be d-bags. The school should be consistent if they're going to try to implement a zero tolerance policy like that.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM

I read two-thirds of this thread and the amount of idiocy in this thread is outrageous. Obviously, there's is a division here between people who have gone to high school when cell phones weren't around and those who have.

First off, 4_2it, you have got to be kidding with your guns, drugs, knives analogy. These things aren't even legal to carry anyway, regardless of whether you are in a public school or not.

Second, taking the cell phone as punishment accomplishes noting. It's like sending your kid to their room. It's just an inconvenience. You want to deter cell phone use? First offense is a warning, second offense is a detention, third offense is a 1-day in school suspension, fourth is 3 day, fifth is an out of school suspension, etc. As others have said here, the school shouldn't be taking property. It just upsets the kid (and obviously sometimes the parent), and the kid is now more pissed about getting his/her cell phone back and likely to hold a grudge against whatever teacher/administrator took it away. Treat unnecessary/distracting cell phone use like any other misconduct.

Three, there is no reason why kids shouldn't be allowed to use their phones at lunch, in between periods, etc. All of you oldy moldies saying, "We didn't have cell phones, and we made it through just fine." Listen to what you're saying, you sound like bitter old people. Cell phones have become a part of our society. People are going to use them. If it is a distraction in a class, by all means punish the kid like you would if they were whispering to their friend or passing notes. But jesus christ, let the kids use their [censored] outside of the classroom.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read two-thirds of this thread and the amount of idiocy in this thread is outrageous. Obviously, there's is a division here between people who have gone to high school when cell phones weren't around and those who have.

First off, 4_2it, you have got to be kidding with your guns, drugs, knives analogy. These things aren't even legal to carry anyway, regardless of whether you are in a public school or not.

Second, taking the cell phone as punishment accomplishes noting. It's like sending your kid to their room. It's just an inconvenience. You want to deter cell phone use? First offense is a warning, second offense is a detention, third offense is a 1-day in school suspension, fourth is 3 day, fifth is an out of school suspension, etc. As others have said here, the school shouldn't be taking property. It just upsets the kid (and obviously sometimes the parent), and the kid is now more pissed about getting his/her cell phone back and likely to hold a grudge against whatever teacher/administrator took it away. Treat unnecessary/distracting cell phone use like any other misconduct.

Three, there is no reason why kids shouldn't be allowed to use their phones at lunch, in between periods, etc. All of you oldy moldies saying, "We didn't have cell phones, and we made it through just fine." Listen to what you're saying, you sound like bitter old people. Cell phones have become a part of our society. People are going to use them. If it is a distraction in a class, by all means punish the kid like you would if they were whispering to their friend or passing notes. But jesus christ, let the kids use their [censored] outside of the classroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY? No one has answered this question. Why do you youngsters need your goddam cell phones at school so bad? Why should the schools let you use them? WTF do you need them so bad for?

The point is, there is a damn good reason NOT to allow cell phones at school... because the kids are obviously tempted to use them during class. It's interfering with teaching.

And letting them use between classes, at lunch, etc. is so retarded... it's blatantly obvious that this will lead to kids being late to class, not getting off the phones on time, etc., etc.

This is sofa king stupid.

Is there any good reason to allow cell phones other than the little brats "all have them and use them" now? One good reason?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
X,

My daughter has brought her phone to school for almost two years without a problem. As posted above, he school will take away any visible cell phone, whether in use or not.

I agree that a kid who can't follow simple school rules is more likely to get into trouble outside of school; however, unless he lives in a secluded area, I doubt he will be in an accident where there aren't at least 10 bystanders who have cell phones that he could borrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know what you are saying and I'd prolly just tell my son to follow the rules too. I would actually tell him he got what was coming to him for not doing as he was told just like you but you and I both know some parents will get upset for the reason I mentioned above. I think its silly too but I am just trying to see where the dad might be coming from.

X