Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: The Fog of War

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to which part of this

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: It has been a while since I've seen it, but there is another important aspect to the film. IIRC, McNamara says something to the effect that if the US had lost WWII many of the Generals would have been correctly tried for war crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

you disagree with

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with it. I think it is significant that McNamara said it. WW2 is usually framed as good guys + commies vs. bad guys scenario without any shades of gray. McNamara's statements show that he does not believe this to be true.

EDIT: I'm also hoping that my memory hasn't failed me and that he did actually say this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It has been a long while since I saw THE FOG OF WAR and I don't plan on revisiting it.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the problem is that the movie suggests, uncritically, that McNamara is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my objection to the fiim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would firmly disagree with this. If anything I feel as if the film depicted McNamara as a frail, almost broken old man repenting for his past errors in judgement and trying in vain to explain the errors made by those around him, LBJ in particular
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM

There's a phone conversation between LBJ and McNamara that I thought was surprising. McNamara is generally credited for getting us stuck in the mire in Vietnam, but in this phone call LBJ sounds like a used car salesman who you unfortunately can't say no to. He starts off friendly and then quickly turns to interrupting McNamara and basically says "I know you and JFK wanted to find a way out of this thing, but that's not going to happen." Watch this again and see if you don't think LBJ's undertones are completely at odds with his friendly demeanor.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM

Unrelated to the film, but I think it's interesting that the Interrotron, Morris' invention for more intimate interviewing, is now being used on the NFL Network series "America's Game."
Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved this film. It really gave you an idea of how the whole war and his decisions have weighed on McNamara. Very interesting movie.

[/ QUOTE ]