Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: NL50: FD+Gut shot vs obvious big pairs. Spewy? Too aggressive?

meh I think preflop is the spewy part, postflop is fine. Your hand looks like a set and MP may have overcards and the SB may actually fold KK/QQ here (given his nitty stats, it's not out of the question).
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM

It appears that we disagree slightly on the merits of MP1 calling SB's 3bet after you call it. Sure it gives us better immediate pot odds with a speculative hand, but Id prefer to have the effective button in this spot. When MP1 calls behind us we dont have that luxury and to me that is a serious boon postflop with this hand. Just my .02.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM

meh, preflop is an art not a science. You have a big pot being generated by miniraises, you have position on the tight player, and you certainly have the beginings of a big pot hand. You certainly want to see flops against a 74/37 especially when their raises are providing you with good odds. SB played PF the worst here. In the end your closing the action getting 6.75 to 1 odds.

I understand your ideas about limping, but I still don't know if I can do this UTG.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM

@ toymach: I understand your reasoning for not wanting to have MP1 one in this hand but in that situation I was happy to have him in there. You're a right that I have worse position with him involved here, but the kind of hand I have here is (IMO) pretty easy to play especially when you have either a pretty good read on villain or villain is rather bad and has tendencies to stack off light for example with just TPTK or overpair only. As I knew right from the beginning that I needed a good to great flop to continue this hand, pot odds and the remote possibility to play for stacks (maybe even in a 3way pot) clearly outweighted the bad position I find myself in here.

@CaptVimes: Good to hear that you understand my reasoning and I'd like to add that limping UTG with SCs is not my default play. In fact, my VPIP for UTG is at 11%, so pretty normal IMO but I'm really of the opinion that sometimes the situation is right do that, for example when we have a big stack at a table who is obviously playing bad and far too many hands. SCs are great hands in such spot IMO, though of course I'd prefer playing them IP, too.

@ActionStan: really sorry to make your head hurt but I think that we all do not have to have the same opinion on every single aspect of poker. I know many guys here hate openlimping, especially in such a bad position but I think there are worse things you could do and playing well postflop can often turn marginal hands/spots PF in profitable spots later on.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM

It was really the 17 bets/calls/etc that led to the all-in that made my head hurt.

limp/raise/screw it call/re-raise/call/yeah sure call/re-raise/why not call/check/bet/call/call/phone a friend call/i have free minutes call/arrrr in baby

it's just not a line you see every day.

I generally don't open limp with that sort of hand UTG, but that wasn't the thing that was causing the head hurtification.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was really the 17 bets/calls/etc that led to the all-in that made my head hurt.

limp/raise/screw it call/re-raise/call/yeah sure call/re-raise/why not call/check/bet/call/call/phone a friend call/i have free minutes call/arrrr in baby

it's just not a line you see every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, allright! Yeah, I was fed up with this BS too on the flop which was the real reason for shoving here. No, just kidding, but I completely agree that PF was one of the weirdest lines I saw in quite a while...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 PM

So now that we've gone through all these machinations what happend?

I've got free minutes call

Made me spew coke.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM

What happenend? Well after stoving it I'm completely happy with my decisions, was just too stupid to spike one of my 11 outs...

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $70.30
BB: $92.75
Hero (UTG): $53.75
UTG+1: $34
UTG+2: $49.25
MP1: $86.90
MP2: $42
CO: $43.95
BTN: $69.10

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $1</font>, 3 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $3</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $2.50, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $5</font>, SB calls $2, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($15.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets $8</font>, SB calls $8, <font color="red">Hero raises to $48.75 and is All-In</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls $40.75

Turn: ($121) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($121) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $121 Pot ($3 Rake)
SB showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Queens) and WON $118 (+$64.25 NET)
Hero showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Ten Nine high) and LOST (-$53.75 NET)