Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Movie Review: The Proposition

When I heard that Nick Cave had written the screenplay for a "western" set in Australia, I knew I had to see it.

This is a great movie. It is really beautifully shot, very well acted, has a great soundtrack, and was just all-around a real pleasure.

This is a pretty damned dark film, but it's not just a 2-hour movie cliche. Those of you who love movies ought to jump on the Netflix if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Movie Review: The Proposition

[ QUOTE ]
When I heard that Nick Cave had written the screenplay for a "western" set in Australia, I knew I had to see it.

This is a great movie. It is really beautifully shot, very well acted, has a great soundtrack, and was just all-around a real pleasure.

This is a pretty damned dark film, but it's not just a 2-hour movie cliche. Those of you who love movies ought to jump on the Netflix if you haven't seen it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 AM

I concur. I hate not adding anything but the points i would have made are all in the op.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I wouldn't put it up there with something like "Unforgiven" but it was pretty damn good.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I wouldn't put it up there with something like "Unforgiven" but it was pretty damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's tough not to see some very basic similarities. Most notably, the very grim, very unromantic nature of that period.

I actually have no problem mentioning these films in the same breath, because I think each has aspects that make it genuinely excellent in its own right.

For instance, I think The Proposition is superior in its cinematographic beauty, and in its soundtrack.

I think the character development and acting is probably a little better in Unforgiven.

Either way, it's a newer breed of Western that aims for realism rather than romanticism.

I mean, what happened to Clint Eastwood between Pale Rider (blecch) and Unforgiven?

Anyway, I would put these movies in the same class.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Rushmore, glad to see you enjoyed it. I am from Australia although I don't live there now, and this is one of the few Australian films that I didn't feel embarrassed about.

Congratulations Mr. Cave.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rushmore, glad to see you enjoyed it. I am from Australia although I don't live there now, and this is one of the few Australian films that I didn't feel embarrassed about.

Congratulations Mr. Cave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you've always got Breaker Morant, Mad Max, Gallipoli, Romper Stomper and Crocodile Dundee.

Kidding on the last one.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, at least you've always got Breaker Morant, Mad Max, Gallipoli, Romper Stomper and Crocodile Dundee.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mention the last one only to hurt me, I am sure. Brrrr. Yes, the others are quality films, assuming you mean Mad Max I and not the second one that got released as "The Road Warrior" or some such nonsense in the US. And don't even mention the third one: once Tina Turner and singing children get involved, clearly all bets are off.

I guess possibly our hit rate is no worse than anyone else's -- Hollywood and Bollywood both make a ton of crap, certainly -- but I take the bad ones so personally for some reason.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

i'm australian and i really loved this film, particularly the way it illustrated the harsh beauty of the australian outback. despite living here all my life, to me the desert was always just something my parents made me drive through when we went on holiday because they were sadistic, but this film really made me think about the poetic beauty in such a stark, unforgiving environment. in the days seeing the film i found myself thinking about what an amazing place australia is - beautiful, clean, coastal cities founded on such an incredibly harsh background.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the character development and acting is probably a little better in Unforgiven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, maybe. But I'd put Ray Winstone's performance up against any in Unforgiven. I enjoyed Danny Huston's performance as well. It's just a shame Richard Harris died before he could play John Hurt's role.