[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post OP, inspiring!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Join me in my drug-inspired, inordinately belated poker epiphanies

you're like, smarter than me or something
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Sick post...I want some of whatever you smoked, dawg.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Great post.

I think that poker actually would be the battle of pre-calculated strategies that you talk about if it were only ever played for a few hands at a time. Given that people generally play each other for long enough to build theories about what the other guy is doing, then constant adaptation is called for.

From a raw statistical point of view though, we know that having, say, 1000 hands on someone is not enough to reduce your uncertainty much about something like their threshold for calling versus raising the river. So if this constant adaptation is to be useful and not merely an illusion of cleverness it needs to be predicated on observations about your opponent that are surprisingly telling, e.g, I saw him call an early-position raise with KTo so I can assume a lot about him now after that one observation. Knowing how to identify and exploit these information-rich observations seems to be a lot of the art of it, and something I am nowhere near good enough at doing.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Want to know the secret? Always be one step ahead. Thats all there is to it. The best players (or at least, better than you) are simply the ones who know what you're going to do before you do it, and play accordingly. They set traps for you to fall into, and they avoid the ones that you're trying to set. And if you don't do what they think you're going to, well, they've got a solid backup plan for that too (and you better believe that they are taking note of it for future reference).

[/ QUOTE ]

solid post DJ. This is how I think about poker too. Be one step ahead.

I went through a stretch where I was breakeven to marginal winner at my best game (HU) somewhat recently and I was shattered, didn't know what to do. Then I finally realized people had adjusted to certain things that were fundamental to my strategy and very exploitable (though no one in the past used to exploit them). The poker community as a whole had shifted where the standard of play was one that exploited some chunks of my game. So then I first vowed to never let myself oversee something like that again and then immediately shifted into a counter-strategy... which now by the way is even more profitable than anything I was doing before. It's all about being one step ahead.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM

very good post. what u say is true. its not that u say new stuff about poker, but very important stuff about the right mindset and one's unused potential.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Join me in my drug-inspired, inordinately belated poker epiphanies.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that separates a great player from a mediocre player is that not only has the great player habitualized most of the decisions that a mediocre player has to rationalize (and to a high degree of precision, i.e., making the correct and theoretically sound decisions), but he is capable of re-rationalizing many of the spots which approximate habitualized spots; that is, where a more mediocre player might be inclined to treat different variations on the same theme exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the cliffnotes IMO. There are a ton of players who win at a mediocre winrate, but win nonetheless, b/c they play "structurally" correct. I like to say they've found a good "box" to play in with respect to whatever game they frequent. This box is enough to make them a winning player, and in some cases (Party 2005, etc) it can make them a truly dominant player in terms of their winrate. But I would never consider them a "good" poker player. Ex: eliminate all raising preflop, some pros would cease to be winning players, some players would absolutely tear the game to shreds.

Indeed, a lot of today's pros make the bulk of their money preflop, where its easy to play inside a box. But take away their structure, and they're essentially f*cked. So how do you beat these players? Well, first you have to be smarter/better/more imaginative/whatever. If you think this is true, you simply put BOTH you and him in a non-standard spot, and plan on reacting better than he does. Sounds easy on the surface, but it can be difficult to accomplish without violating standard principles of good play.

I don't think theres any need for an example, just do weird sh*t. However, there's other ways you can prey on over-habitualized opponents. Specifically, (and this can have hilarious results given the time constraints in online poker) you can put him in a situation that seems close to one that he has experienced many times, and hope he (almost subconsciously) choses the non-thinking reaction he has hardcoded in his brain instead of thinking through the exact situation.

Good Pro (many would know him) raises CO I call button with QJ.
Flop KKQ two hearts.
Bet/Call.
Turn brick.
Bet/Call.
Riv brick.
Chk/Minbet.
He thinks for 5 seconds and pots Axhh.

On the surface, scary board, I showed "weakness", subconscious says good spot for a C/R. But if you actually look at the specific hand its a laughably bad play. Anyway, that might have been tangential, the point is to find spots where your opponents instincts may deceive him.

Anyway, good post OP.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:00 AM

NL Poker has near unlimited options, yet we play it like it has only one or two true options. Think about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Join me in my drug-inspired, inordinately belated poker epiphanies.

[ QUOTE ]
Good Pro (many would know him) raises CO I call button with QJ.
Flop KKQ two hearts.
Bet/Call.
Turn brick.
Bet/Call.
Riv brick.
Chk/Minbet.
He thinks for 5 seconds and pots Axhh.

On the surface, scary board, I showed "weakness", subconscious says good spot for a C/R. But if you actually look at the specific hand its a laughably bad play. Anyway, that might have been tangential, the point is to find spots where your opponents instincts may deceive him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a good application of that merging ranges stuff....
Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

solid post DJ. This is how I think about poker too. Be one step ahead.

I went through a stretch where I was breakeven to marginal winner at my best game (HU) somewhat recently and I was shattered, didn't know what to do. Then I finally realized people had adjusted to certain things that were fundamental to my strategy and very exploitable (though no one in the past used to exploit them). The poker community as a whole had shifted where the standard of play was one that exploited some chunks of my game. So then I first vowed to never let myself oversee something like that again and then immediately shifted into a counter-strategy... which now by the way is even more profitable than anything I was doing before. It's all about being one step ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah its amazing how the "standard" game has developed over the past 18 months while I've been playing cash games and reading the boards. You could say, "you need to be one step ahead of 2p2."